Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:38 PM   #1

Default Point and shoot with bracketing?

I really got into HDR and would like a camera that has Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB). My trusty old Canon 20D does a great job, but I would like to have something that I could have with me all of the time with comparable quality images. I thought maybe Steve had a list of cameras and I could check myself, but I couldn't find a list.
I have heard that the canon S95 might be a good choice, but are there any others I should consider as well?
I bought my 20D beacuse of the reviews I read here, and in general at Steves Digicams, so its always been my go to place to check !
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2011, 4:13 PM   #2

S95 is a good choice indeed. I have one and love it. If you go a little bigger, there's the Olympus XZ-1 and a little bigger than that, there is the Canon G12 as well.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:34 PM   #3

G'day BS

most P&S cameras these days have AEB - at a photo workshop last weekend, one student had a little tiny kodak something-or-another and even it had AEB ... once auto had been swapped to "P"

I would go searching for the lens-zoom you're after first, narrow your possibles down then fine tune for things like AEB
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:31 AM   #4

I guess the realy important thing is speed. I can handhold my 20D and take 3 rapid shots in sucession.i'm not sure If I can do that with a P & S camera or not.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:06 PM   #5

G'day again BS

More information needed ....
What do you mean by "... the really important thing is speed. I can handhold my 20D and take 3 rapid shots in sucession ... "

my old FujiFilm [before it died after 90,000 exposures] used to do 5fps x 40 exposures

I now have a P&S [the FZ35] that in one mode will shoot at 15fps x unlimited exposures - there is no SLR on the market that can go close.
We were out on a whale watching boat cruise recently. My missus, using the FZ35 caught a beautiful breach-and-splash movement over about 60 frames, while me, with the pentax hi-speed burst went 'clik-clik-clik at 3fps x 5 exposures and got damn near nothin'

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
I guess the realy important thing is speed. I can handhold my 20D and take 3 rapid shots in sucession.i'm not sure If I can do that with a P & S camera or not.
The Panasonic FZ100 is the first camera that comes to mind. The IQ isn't best-in-class by any means, but it's in line with other CMOS-based P&S cams. In terms of your specific needs though, it is incredibly fast. In fact, it's the fastest P&S I've ever used. Even in RAW+JPEG mode, you can just snap off shot after shot (full resolution as well).