Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:15 PM   #1

Default Looking for a Decent Point And Shoot

After alot of research, I had come upon the conclusion of buying a Canon SX230HS, seems to have good pic quality, good at low light pics, and now, I have found out that it doesn't take as good quality pics inside as outside. It also does not have a tripod mount. Any suggestions on a point n shoot, with medium amount of zoom, great indoor as well as outdoor pics, and fairly quick with shooting modes? I have a daughter who just graduated high school and my Nikon L110 took the most horrible pics, resulting in my missing most of the important shots, along with alot of blurriness. Need medium amount of zoom, stablilization for blur, low light capability, fairly quick. also, need to stay under the $300. mark as much as possible. Thankyou !
magaritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:17 PM   #2

No suggestions because you are asking for the impossible. Once you go over about 4x zoom in a pocket cam, the sensor shrinks, the lens loses brightness, and thus the low light abilities go out the window. The SX230 handles high ISO well so that's the best you can hope for in a 1/2.3" sensor type camera. You would have to give up the zoom in order to get better pics in low light (e.g. S95, XZ-1, LX5, etc)
Old Jun 22, 2011, 5:34 PM   #3

so, nothing else will come close the the sx230? Thankyou... I just thought that maybe there was something else that came relatively close to it that I could look into.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:14 PM   #4
cmj

How about the Nikon S8100?
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:50 AM   #5

that sounds like something I will look into...thankyou
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:04 AM   #6
cmj

They have them at Costco for $249 with a 90 day trial period. They also double the manufactures warranty to 2 years if you use an American Express card. I personally like the idea of a 2 year warranty and 90 day trial period.
I've read a lot of good things about this camera, I think it's important to actually read the manuals. If you are looking for a lot of manual controls, this one would not work for you.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote