Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:06 PM   #1

Default Help Buying DSLR Camera

Hello there,

I'm completely new to this and really have no idea what to look for. A friend of mine who takes a lot of pictures told me to look at some Canon EOS Rebel XS and the like. I've been wading thru tons of cameras and don't really know the difference. Canon XS, XT, t2, t2i, etc etc...

What I will use the camera for:

General pics (family, kids, outdoors)
Sports (my son plays baseball and my daughter is soon to be in gymnastics)
Family photos - I'd like to take family photos rather than pay someone else

edit: I'd like to spend around $300 for camera and lens (I'm ok with buying used from craigslist or ebay)

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks.
cware31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:46 PM   #2

http://austin.craigslist.org/pho/2462001197.html

Does this look like a good deal? A good camera for what I need?

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:52 PM   #3

For what you stated you want to shoot, your best option is a t2i or t1i and you will need a fast last. That will not be cheap as sport shooting is very demanding equipment. So if sports is something you are seriously wanting to shoot, you need to really raise your budget. Even with used or refreb, you indoor sports will need at least 400 dollar lens like the canon 85 1.8 and for your outdoor sports, like baseball you will need a long zoom, something like the 70-300 at a min. That will set you back another 400-450 on the used or refreb market.

You are looking at a min 900 dollars in lenses to get start. The body, the T2i or T1i would give you a much better AF system they the Xt or Xti bodies or the XS. And for you indoors you will need 3200iso at times, so the XSi will be limited at 1600iso, while the T bodies can all shoot ok at 3200iso.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:01 PM   #4

Thanks a bunch for your reply. It's amazing how complicated this can get

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the $300 budget for both camera and lens. I'm not trying to do anything professional at all, I just want to take nice quality pictures. I plan to get a better lens down the road. I'm not "serious" about shooting sports, I'd just like to have something that takes high quality pictures (normally I use my iPhone to snap some photos while he's playing lol).

So for now, I'm staying at $300 or less.

Any recommendation on that budget?

I do appreciate the replies.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:13 PM   #5

Less risk than used on ebay or craigslist...

Refurbished direct from manufacturer, not certain what the warranty is, but none on ebay or craigslist:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_204269_-1

For about $100 more you can get the new and upgraded model. Nikons refubished D3000 was $466 WITHOUT lens so I didn't give link. However, the new D3000 with lens (at Nikon's online store) was $499. Likewise with Canon't link above, the Rebel XT is an older model refurbished, while the new T3 is $549 at the Canon site. May be slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Other places to look at used are B&H Photo, Adorama, and KEH.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 3:22 PM   #6

You best bet to keep close to your budget would be the Rebel XT or XS. I would lean toward the XS because it is slightly newer, but it too has been replaced by the T3. But the stock kit lens will not give you enough zoom to shoot sports. You would need at least a Canon EF-S 55-250mm or similar lens from Tamron or Sigma but that kind of lens is at least $200.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1

Last edited by David_MC; Jun 25, 2011 at 3:26 PM.
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2011, 11:54 PM   #7

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your expert opinions on the following. I have tried the Canon Rebel T3i and I quite like it. I am now trying the Nikon D5100 and I like as well. I like the fact that it stamps the date on the picture and that it has many different scenes that the Rebel does not have. The only glitch here is that I find, and I might be very wrong here, that the pictures on the Nikon are not as crisp and clean as the pictures on the Rebel. I find that they are rather soft. I have taken close ups and long shots and both are not as crisp as the Rebel. I have been to many sites and I have seen their comparison shots and it seems to be the opposite to what I am seeing with the Nikon and the Rebel. What's more important in your expert opinions, a camera that shoots clean, crisp pictures or one that shoots good but soft pictures and stamps the date on the picture and has more scenes to play with?

I will be anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thanks again,

JPLD
jpld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:39 AM   #8

The canon has a better AF system then the nikon d5100. So it might have been a slight miss focus that is causing the crispness. Also nikon d5100 like the d3100 can not use all lenses for nikon, so nikon lenses will not auto focus as they do not have motors. Especially some of their lower price prime lenses.

But if you plan on shooting sports with the camera later on when you invest the right lenses, the canon is the better action option.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:25 AM   #9

Didn't feel like reading any of the replies but in my opinion the T2i would be great for you. Only problem, a Canon T2i with a kit lens is WAAYY over $300. Like, atleast triple that. You could look into Nikon, I'd recommend buying a used D60 or even a D3000.
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB24 Speedlight
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:18 AM   #10

hi it is a case of think of a budget think what i take pictures of and then rethink budget. you could get a cheaper camera or a good 2nd hand but in the end it maybe better to wait and get what is needed for the job
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote