Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:46 AM   #1

Default New to Nikon need opinion on lenses

Ive decided to go with a Nikon D7000 and I'm thinking about these lenses:

Nikon 35mm f1.8 ($200)
Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro ($400)
Nikon 70-300mm f3.4 (589.95)
Nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 ($400)

My question though, are there any better lenses made by Nikon or whoever that are as good or better quality than these for cheaper? The prices above are approximate as I am not ready to buy right this second so I have not searched for the absolute best price yet.

Im also curious to know what everyone thinks about the Nikon 28-300mm lens they have for around $1000. I don't think I will be buying this lens though
Photoshop CS5
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:50 AM   #2

Those are all good, reasonably priced lenses.

You haven't said what you want to shoot though, so it's hard to answer your question. For instnace, the 18-105 is a nice lens, but it's got a lot of distortion, so it won't be good for cityscapes. It also has a lot of vignetting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 12:37 AM   #3

Well I don't shoot any one subject but I can tell you that I don't focus on sports at all and Im not into studio portrait style that much. I do like to occasionally photograph smoke or similar subjects. I think my primary focus would be on sharpness and low light. Im not really worried about things that can be fixed in Photoshop.

Just asking here but distortion can be fixed in Photoshop right? I live near DC as well so this may become a problem when I go to the city...

What if you posted what you think were the pros and cons of each lens? I don't know how much work would be evolved in what Im asking but if its not too much would you mind doing the same for lenses that are like these?

I think I would rather have a 50mm lens as apposed to the 35mm lens however they don't make a 50mm DX lens. I understand that the D7000 is a DX camera so there has to be something lost when using an FX lens on that camera, I would think. Would it be worth it to have an FX lens then if considered that I would rather have that focal length? I guess I could just crop the 35mm and expand in Photoshop...
Photoshop CS5

Last edited by Trihame; Jun 30, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
Trihame is offline   Reply With Quote