Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:19 PM   #1

Default Buying a new camera

Hi,

The last camera I bought dated 7 years ago, so a lot of changes in technology occurred during that time which I am not very aware of. I want to buy a new camera and it's really confusing with all these choices out there, so I am hoping to get some advice from this forum.

I plan to buy this new camera specially as there will be a new addition to my family this September. The important features I am looking for are:

1. Camera able to record videos in good quality
2. Zoom feature must not make noise
3. At least 12MP would be nice

Any advice would be most appreciated.
yamlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:37 PM   #2

1. Does this mean 720 or 1080 would both be acceptable?
3. Why "at least 12MP"? Do you need to print posters? If not, less MP will give you better better low light performance and less noise.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:29 AM   #3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Excuse my ignorance but am not sure what 720 or 1080 would relate to... Is it the resolution for the pictures?

Also, I mentioned at least 12MP because I saw a camera with good reviews on
http://www.amazon.co.uk/eHome-Bundle...pr_product_top

and was going to buy it when I found out it makes noise when zooming. So that put me off.
Just wondering if there might be any equivalent to this Fuji camera.
yamlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:09 PM   #4

720 and 1080 refer to the video resolution. 1080p video limits the camera selection as CCD sensors are not fast enough to shoot in 1080p. All cameras make some noise while zooming but if you want minimal noise, check out the Canon SX30 or something with a manual zoom like the Fuji HS10/20. However, it's not really reasonable to shoot quality video w/ a manual zoom imho. There will be a lot of camera shake as you try to zoom.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:19 AM   #5

Hi,

Almost impossible to make any recommendations without some more information.

i.e.

what is your budget?

How often would you use camera and what type of photography do you like to do?

Do you like to change the settings yourself on the camera or simply want to turn it on, press the shutter and have the camera do the rest?

What is your current camera?

There are a whole host of other questions that need to be answered. But, these are a start.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:23 AM   #6

If you want decent low light performance, stay away from the superzoom cameras; all of them. The sensors are of necessity too small, even those that claim to have a CMOS, which is even worse in the small sizes.
It is also a good idea to get a camera with a 1/1.7 size sensor, with no more than 10 mp. That is unless you decide on a DSLR, even then the lower the mp of the sensor (around 10 or so), the better image the quality. Especially in low light.

My Canon G12 has a 1/1.7 sensor, and images to ISO1600 are almost noisless, with 3200 being not to bad. Even ISO 12800 produces fair images, although with some detail smudging because of noise processing. But even then they are better than my older superzoom at ISO 800, which was debatable just what the image was of - because the smudging and blocking is so bad.

But alas the G12 only has 5x of zoom, not enough for the zoom freaks. But I wanted the low light performance, much more important.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".

Last edited by Steve40; Jul 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:58 PM   #7
Banned

As Five0, stated 720 and 1080 are HD quality video resolutions. I would say 720 it suitable for my needs. 1080 is for more professionals (IMO)
NorthAlleyRyan is offline   Reply With Quote