Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:08 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Sensors have in general been improving slightly in terms of all of their capabilities.
I agree here. In some cases, such as the Canon HS sensors, I think they have come a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
However, people have become accustomed to viewing images at 100% magnification when judging noise. For a sensor of a given size, when resolution is increased, viewing at 100% is effectively increasing the magnification.
I would disagree here. The increase in MP while still using the same size sensors has reduced the size of the photosites. So the older cameras were in fact better performers in low light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If a modern high-rez sensor's images are down-scaled to the resolution of the older sensors, then usually the "extra" noise disappears.
Reducing the size of the image or shooting at a lower resolution won't remove the noise. It will simply become less visible because the image is smaller.
__________________
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:38 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 7
Default

so five0 what are some good low-light not-so-pockatable cameras from yester-years?
joyceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:54 AM   #13
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

You haven't read the articles have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I would disagree here. The increase in MP while still using the same size sensors has reduced the size of the photosites. So the older cameras were in fact better performers in low light.
Do you have any data to back up this assertion?

The articles on DXOMark backed up by their measurements show very clearly that you are mistaken in the general case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Reducing the size of the image or shooting at a lower resolution won't remove the noise. It will simply become less visible because the image is smaller.
Ah yes, well of course it's the visible noise that most people are worried about. I'm not really sure what your point is.

Once again the DXO articles state it very clearly:

Quote:
For equal, normalized SNR, a high-resolution camera is still better than a low-resolution camera. While it is always possible to simulate a low-resolution camera using a higher resolution camera (since downsampling is easy), it is not possible to simulate a high-resolution camera using a lower-resolution camera other than by interpolating or inventing data.
__________________
My gallery
My X100 blog
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:02 PM.