Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:59 PM   #1

Default Help! Trying to Buy a Point and Shoot!

Ok so it has been many moons since I have purchased a new digital camera and I love technology but I am feeling overwhelmed.

I have a 19 month old daughter, I want a good all around camera that I can bring with us to the beach, park, theme park, etc. where I can good pictures of her without too much trouble in various lighting conditions (low light included... it seems she is always doing adorable things in the evening hours...)

And of course budget is a concern. I only have about 200 to spend. my brother is hung up on Nikons but I kind of like some of the bells and whistles that some of the Sonys have. (That Isweep Panorama is cool!)

Most of the pictures will be viewed on the computer and online but my wife enjoys printing pics as well on our kodak photo printer 4x6 to as large as 8x10 but not often.

I am looking at the Nikon S6100 and the Sony DSC-WX9... which do you think is a better choice? Or I am open to other suggestions if neither is good.

Thank You in advance!
Sharkemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:40 AM   #2

Nikon S8100 or S9100 are far better than anything Sony has produced in at least the last few years. On the downside, the Nikons don't have ASM modes.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:25 AM   #3
cmj

I just bought a Nikon S8100 through a Cameta Camera auction on Ebay for $143.00, it looks and appears to be just like new. They are an authorized dealer and gets a lot of factory demos. They come sealed with everything right from Nikon. They have a 30 day return policy and a warranty. I talked to a lot of photographers that use this retailer before I made my purchase. Apparently they have a large store in NY. It's worth checking out, I'm happy so far.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback so far. So you feel that Nikon is the way to go for a point and shoot that will fit me needs? I am open to other brands if you think they are superior and fit the needs I described above. Thanks again, anyone else with thoughts?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:06 PM   #5

Well in all honesty, none of the cameras in the $200 range will do terribly well in low light due to the small sensors and small apertures. If low light is a concern, in this price range, the Canon SD4000 is the only camera really worth checking out (F2.0 lens). You may also want to check out Canon's line of HS cameras and see if any meet your budget. Though they don't do any better in low light, they do handle high ISO quite well.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but short of a dSLR or at least a micro 4/3 type cam, you're not going to have much luck shooting moving subjects in low light without blur.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:25 PM   #6

Thank you for all the replies, still not sure which way I am going to go, but the help has been much appreciated....