Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
About 80% of the pics on Flickr that were taken with a NEX-5, were shot using non E-mount lenses !
I wouldn't go that far, but I'll accept your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
I've seen some incredible results with the adapter + 35 or 50mm SAL f/1.8 !

Nikon lenses + NEX also make for stunning shots...
I have no doubt that is true, but is that where you want to start?

Personally, I'd like an AF/AE lens or two to cover some of the more mundane subjects before I start tackling photography with a big heavy large aperture 'Full Frame' manual focus manual exposure Leica, Contax or Voigtlander lens I happen to have lying around, and especially if I didn't have one lying around and I had to go shopping for one.

But that's just me.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:42 PM   #12

All the nex lenses will cause you to wait, as they will sell at msrp for a good while. And putting on a adapter lens is an option, nut not ideal for all thing. You are making the nex allot larger with the Sam lenses. I use adapter lens with my mirror only the smaller ones, as the longer lens will make the balance of the camera seem off.

Are you looking for a compact large sensor camera, there are other mirror less options with much stronger Lens line ups.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:47 PM   #13

These are the cheapest offers I could find (prices includ the 18-55mm kit lens):
Sony NEX5 - 495: http://www.reflexpro.fr/sony-nex5-nex5-sony-1855mm-garantie-ans-sony-rembourse-50euros-p-1098.html
Sony SLT A33 - 499: http://www.magma.fr/?module=boutique...ls&pid=1017835
Sony SLT A55 - 694: http://www.redcoon.fr/index.php/cmd/...efId/idealofr/

I'm sticking with the NEX, and gonna be waiting for the release of native E-mount lenses !
You were right JimC, attaching an adapter would only add more weight...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:37 PM   #14
Administrator

It sounds like you really want that NEX-5. :-)

Personally, I'd want the features you get in one of the larger dSLR bodies from Sony instead. But, there are pros and cons any of them, and each user is going to have different preferences in a camera.

I would make sure to try one out in a store to make sure you're comfortable with one.

Note that Sony did release the specifications for their new E Mount so that third party manufacturers can produce lenses for the NEX series cameras without the usual license fees.

So, that should help speed up how long it takes for more new E mount lens models to hit dealer shelves. Here's a news article we published about it in February:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...ses_specs.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:15 PM   #15

I would really trying it out at the stores first, as the flash they use is not the best, and there is not evf available yet. It really helps to have a evf when shooting a long zoom and in bright sunshine.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I would really trying it out at the stores first, as the flash they use is not the best, and there is not evf available yet. It really helps to have a evf when shooting a long zoom and in bright sunshine.
Luckily for me, I hate flash photography and I hate using an EVF !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Note that Sony did release the specifications for their new E Mount so that third party manufacturers can produce lenses for the NEX series cameras without the usual license fees.
They should really hurry it up, people (as in me) are getting impatient !

Wich of the following companies make the cheapest lenses: Cosina, Sigma or Tamron ?

BTW, I've seen some really nasty reviews of the 18-55mm kit lens !
Would it be a good idea to just get the body and wait for good glass to be released ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:00 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Wich of the following companies make the cheapest lenses: Cosina, Sigma or Tamron ?
You have to take each lens on a case by case basis. All of the major brands make good lenses and bad lenses, and price is usually a pretty good indicator as to image quality with a given lens type (when comparing similar lenses with the same focal range and brightness). "Good glass ain't cheap", and when you see one lens selling for twice as much as another on the used market when the specs appear to be similar for a lens in the same camera mount, there is usually a good reason for that. ;-)

There are many differences between lenses, including widest available apertures at a given focal length (how bright the lens is), distortion at different focal lengths, flare resistance (with many older manual focus lenses tending to be much worse in harsher lighting due to coatings that are not well matched to the reflectivity characteristics of digital imaging sensors), sharpness at wider apertures at various focal lengths, sharpness stopped down at various focal lengths, vignetting, AF speed, shortest focus distance, build quality, size, weight, ergonomics, etc., etc., etc.)

Don't go by brand, look at a specific lens model to see how well it performs.

Quote:
Would it be a good idea to just get the body and wait for good glass to be released ?
It's kind of hard to take photos without a lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:58 PM   #18

Both the kit lenses the pancake and 18-55 are soft compare to their dslr counterpart. That is something I notice when I was using it. But compare to a point and shoot lenses, they are not that bad. So depending which way you are looking at it, it may not be a issue at all.

Flash where you can not bounce really makes flash work seem wash out and it the main reason people dislike flashes. But with a good flash that can swivel and tilt, you get much better indoor results then going with available light. It is a tool that with some research and knowledge makes excellent indoor results.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It's kind of hard to take photos without a lens.
Are you serious ? I didn't know that...

Honestly now, what I meant to say was to buy only the body, and keep using my P&S 'till better lenses are released !

But I've changed my mind again...I think I'm going with the 18-200mm, even if it means that I won't be eating for the next 2 weeks, totally worth it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Both the kit lenses the pancake and 18-55 are soft compare to their dslr counterpart.
The pancake is softer, but the 18-55mm has more CA and vignetting !

18-200mm is the best there is right now, but once I buy it, I won't be getting any more lenses for at least another 8 months !

So I'm hoping that the next time I'll be looking for some new SEL glass, Sony and other manufacturers will have released a good dozen of them !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Last edited by Marawder; Jul 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:39 PM   #20

The 18-200 is a pretty nice lens, it is a big step up form the current kit lenses. And it cover a very nice focal length.