Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:17 PM   #1

Default Decisions, decisions...life is tough! :)

So I found a cool SAM lens for my future NEX-5 (18-55mm kit), the DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 !
Together with the E-mount adapter, total cost would be around 350 euros...on the other hand, I know Sony will be releasing a 55-210mm OSS in the next few months !

So should I wait for the native OSS lens or just buy the adapter with the 55-200mm SAM right away ?

I know the 55-210mm OSS would give me faster autofocus, but I'm also pretty sure that it's gonna be a pretty expensive lens, costing more than 350 euros !

I'm more tempted to just get the SAM and adapter, mostly because of budget limitations and also 'cause I'm impatient...

BUT, I would still appreciate advice from YOU guys...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:52 PM   #2

First, the DT 55-200 isn't stabilized.

Second, anything connected through the LA-EA1 A-Mount to E-Mount adapter will be slow to focus.

I think you'd be better off sitting tight with the kit 18-55 until the stabilized E-Mount telephoto zoom comes out.

This is the kind of thing that happens out here on the bleeding edge.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 2:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
First, the DT 55-200 isn't stabilized.
BUMMER !
But would camera shake be really that bad ?

Quote:
I think you'd be better off sitting tight with the kit 18-55 until the stabilized E-Mount telephoto zoom comes out.
Yeah, and when it's released it might be priced as high as 600 euros, money that I would never pay for a lens. Period!
When I saw the price tag of 800 euros on the 18-200mm E-mount I jumped out of my seat !

Aw, and I was having such a beautiful day...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Jul 4, 2011, 5:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
BUMMER !
But would camera shake be really that bad ?
The longer the focal length, the more likely camera shake will be a problem.

Quote:
Yeah, and when it's released it might be priced as high as 600 euros, money that I would never pay for a lens. Period!
I don't think it will cost that much.

The A-Mount 55-200 costs the same as the A-Mount 18-55 ($200.) There's no reason to suspect that the E-Mount 55-200 will cost much more than the E-Mount 18-55 ($300.)
Old Jul 5, 2011, 7:30 AM   #5

Quote:
The A-Mount 55-200 costs the same as the A-Mount 18-55 ($200.) There's no reason to suspect that the E-Mount 55-200 will cost much more than the E-Mount 18-55 ($300.)
Actually, the SAL-1855 only costs 80 euros, while the SAL-55200 is priced at 200 euros.

The SEL-1855 is 280 euros, so I would expect the SEL-55210 to be around over 400 euros !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:59 AM   #6

New question: what if I use a higher shutter speed to avoid motion blur, e.g. > at 200mm, I'd set the shutter at around 1/200' or 1/400' ?

For night shots I'd use a gorillapod anyway...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Actually, the SAL-1855 only costs 80 euros, while the SAL-55200 is priced at 200 euros.
The SAL-1855 is 80 euros when you buy it with a body. When you buy it alone, its price isn't a lot different than the SAL-55200/2.

Quote:
New question: what if I use a higher shutter speed to avoid motion blur, e.g. > at 200mm, I'd set the shutter at around 1/200' or 1/400' ? For night shots I'd use a gorillapod anyway...
There's still the slow AF ...

You seem awfully prepared to make a lot of sacrifices just to buy a NEX. Are you sure this is what you want to do?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
You seem awfully prepared to make a lot of sacrifices just to buy a NEX.
That's what it sounds like to me, too.

Buying the NEX-5 for use with a DT 55-200mm via an adapter is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Sure, it may work. But, what's the point? ;-)

By the time you spend the money to buy the NEX-5 and the Sony Adapter to use that DT lens with it, you'd be spending about as much as a Sony A55 would cost. But, with the A55, you'd have much faster Autofocus and Stabilization with lenses like that DT 55-200mm and wouldn't need the adapter.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:02 PM   #9

Quote:
You seem awfully prepared to make a lot of sacrifices just to buy a NEX.
About 80% of the pics on Flickr that were taken with a NEX-5, were shot using non E-mount lenses !

I've seen some incredible results with the adapter + 35 or 50mm SAL f/1.8 !

Nikon lenses + NEX also make for stunning shots...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:47 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
I've seen some incredible results with the adapter + 35 or 50mm SAL f/1.8 !
I don't know about prices where you are. But, you can buy the Sony A55 with an 18-55mm kit lens for $799 right now here in the U.S.

That's less than you'd pay to get the NEX-5 with an 18-55mm kit lens ($649) and a Sony LA-E1 Adapter ($199).

So, what would be the point of going with the NEX-5 if you plan on using Sony lenses via an adapter? ;-)

The adapter is going to add size and weight to the NEX-5 (there would only be 85 grams difference in weight between it using an adapter and a Sony A55; and given it's smaller body, that setup would probably not be as well balanced as using a lens on the A55 without an Adapter).

But, with the A55, you'd get a MUCH faster Autofocus System that works with any Sony or Minolta Autofocus lens (not just SAM or SSM lenses like you'd get with the NEX-5 using an adapter); plus they'd be stabilized on the A55. With the A55, you'd also have an Electronic Viewfinder that could come in handy following action or when you have a lot of reflections from sunlight on the LCD; and you'd get a built in flash with the ability to use nicer external flashes (versus just a clip on flash for the NEX-5). You'd also get more external controls so that you're spending less time digging through menus to make changes.

If you were going to stick with E Mount lenses to get quieter AF with them for video in a smaller and lighter package, and didn't care about some of the benefits you'd have with a model like the A55, that would be one thing.

But, buying one so that you can use Sony AF lenses via an adapter just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since you'd end up spending just as much or more for it when you factor in the cost of the adapter (at least here in the U.S.), and you'd be giving up a lot of advantages that you'd have with a model like the A55.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote