Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #1

Default What lens to recommend to family

First, any recommendation to a family member can backfire. I know that from more than 100 people in my office going nuts over taking family members' advice.

Yet, here I am violating my own advice. I'm about to recommend a lens to my sister in law.

She's a snapshot shooter, she really doesn't do much other than shoot her twin toddler boys.

She has a Canon T2i. It came with a 18-55 lens that is malfunctioning and is out of warranty. It is the lens, because I've put different lenses on the camera and they work fine. Her lens on my camera won't focus. It just sits there until it decides it wants to work. Sometimes it works in a minute or two, sometimes 10 minutes.

Anyway, for what she does, I think the Canon 28-135mm IS 3.5-5.6 lens is versatile, affordable and better than the 18-55mm she now has (even if it was working).

This is probably the only lens they will buy.

What do you think?
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
What do you think?
It sounds like a good plan as long as 28mm will be wide enough for indoor
shots. Have a good look at her photographs that were taken with the 18-55mm.
How many were taken with FL in the range 18-28mm?
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3

I'd use ExposurePlot to see what focal lengths she's really been using, before I made any recommendations.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good idea.

I would never recommend the 28-135 as an only lens on a crop body, there's just too much missing on the wide end.

What about the 17-85, 18-135 or 18-85 if she can afford it?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:34 AM   #5

What is the budget? What range does she normally shoot in? Snapshots or creative artsy stuff? How important is image quality? Do you like the family member?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
I would never recommend the 28-135 as an only lens on a crop body, there's just too much missing on the wide end.
I'm with Craig.

There is no way I'd recommend a lens starting out at 28mm to someone for use on a T2i, unless they had another lens to use.

On a dSLR like that one, you'd have the same angle of view as a lens starting out at 45mm on a 35mm camera.

You can move closer or crop a photo at the loss of some quality if you have a lens starting out wider. But, you can't always back up far enough to fit what you want into the frame, and a lens starting out at 28mm is just too long for many purposes.

I use a 24-85mm as a "walk around" lens most of the time with my Sony A700 (APS-C size sensor), and even 24mm is too long at times indoors in closer quarters to get some family shots, even when backing up as far as possible in some rooms (as I just can't get everyone into the frame). So, I need to swap to a wider lens at times.

Heck, I bought a 28-105mm not long ago, thinking it would be a better bet for walk around purposes. Nah... I used it exactly once before deciding that 28mm was just too long to work for me, and that was *outdoors*. LOL

24mm on a crop camera? Yea... I can usually (but not always) get away with that.

28mm on a crop camera? No way I'd buy a lens starting out at 28mm for use as my only lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I'm with Craig.

There is no way I'd recommend a lens starting out at 28mm to someone for use on a T2i, unless they had another lens to use.

On a dSLR like that one, you'd have the same angle of view as a lens starting out at 45mm on a 35mm camera.
This really depends on the user. When I first got my D5000, I had exactly one lens -- the 35mm f/1.8. I was a very happy camper. And the second lens I got was a tele. I find wide angle really hard to shoot, and I find most folks who shoot WA produce photos that I think are crap. I don't find random keystoning or a beer bottle that appears to be about three miles closer to the camera than the next object in the photo to be "artistic." When you get wider than about 25mm, you need to think about compositon in a very different way than you do at standard or tele focal lengths. While Jim and Craig may do that with grace and ease, most folks just make a mess of it. Although I have a wider lens available to me if I so desire, I would not feel limited by having as my one and only lens one whose widest end was no more than 28mm. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote