Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:19 PM   #21

The d7000 with the 18-105 is a good camera and lens combo, but it is not as robust as it seems. It is kinda of a paper tiger, 2 plates are metal, the rest is plastic like the d90. It will give you the same weather sealing as the d90, so if you run into rain, cover it up quickly on your trip.

Now the 7D is another animal. It is on top of the aps-c food chain of dslr. It is a semipro sport and action camera, only real rival is the nikon d300s. It is allot of camera.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:26 PM   #22

PS

Make sure you do the firmware update for it, it if is on the original firmware, there may be issues with hot pixels. They release a fix with the new firmware.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:17 PM   #23

now that they have 7D on discount (goes for $1600 now with 25% discount), I am a bit restless... don't you think i should swith to 7D? I still have tomorrow Saturday until 15:00 and I can switch...
In this case, which lens should I get for it to be the best for the bang right now?
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:28 PM   #24

The 7D is allot better camera then the d7000 by allot. It has a fantastic AF system, great for action shooting with 8fps, and can roll off almost 100 jpegs in burst. It is a excellent camera. Only the nikon d300s can match most of what the 7d can does, it only can not match the 7D in HD.

If I needed a camera that is weather seal, and have a pro level AF. I would go with the 7D or d300s over a d7000 without a second thought. And 1600 for the 7D is a very good price even in the US.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:30 PM   #25

15-85 would be a very good option for the 7D, or is you need more range, 18-270 form tamron or the 18-200 form canon. They would be good all around lenses for your trip.

The 7D is a true upgrade form your 60D, not a side grade like the d7000. And the body is truly weather seal, so is the d300s.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:35 PM   #26

PS, if you go with a tamron, the fast AF of the 7D would be better match to the PZ motor in good lighting.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:06 PM   #27

mmm...sounds good...I was looking at this Tamron AF SP 17-50/2,8 XR Di-II LD IF, without VC... poeple have written good things about it...
whyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:33 PM   #28

That is a very good lens,
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:40 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
That is a very good lens,
It is, but it doesn't have IS. For a not-too-fast standard zoom, I would prefer a slightly slower lens with IS than a slightly faster without.

If you are now thinking of the 7D then I would strongly recommend either the 15-85 IS or 17-55 IS. Both are superb Canon lenses.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:08 AM   #30

Regarding your question about a UV filter, I managed to damage a UV filter to the point I had to replace it so I'm a proponent of a protective filter on a lens. (The lens didn't have a lens hood) Other people feel it can degrade the image quality although some studies don't support that http://home.c2i.net/jostein.oksne/Utstyr/filters.htm

Just make sure it is a top quality multi-coated one and be aware that you can get spurious reflections in night shots so be prepared to remove the filter but use a lens hood to protect the front element.

Last edited by Bob Nichol; Jul 9, 2011 at 6:12 AM.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote