Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:58 AM   #1

Default I need Help What camera to buy

Hi

Until now i used an canonpowershop g11. Realy nice compact camera.
But i became more demanding and i whant a interchangeable lens camera.

Im a newie, i donīt had any workshop about photos or nothing like it, i simple try to represente what i see as i feel, about what i see, on my photos. I donīt know much of the photo vocabulary so please excuse me if i donīt understand something

Enough of chipchat, I want a really god image quality camera, i donīt even care about the video, i just take photos, my photos are all taken outside, i like to photograph a bit of all outside, i use macro to insect, flower, then i photograph landscapes, in all type of wether condicions, and animals, i try to photographe them, expecialy birds, bur mine canon powershop as some limitacions about speed.

So: I wanted one camera with: execelent image quality, good speed for animals, (i think fps are also important for that not sure), basequily something good for outdoor.

Iīve seen two cameras that caught my atention, nikon d7000 and canon 7d.
I know nikon d7000 i newer, but i intend to go for the canon.

Bur pleace im a newie, i would like to know what you think it would be better for outdoors excelent quality photos.
zaulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:07 AM   #2

im sorry, i have not revised the topic, in many places where o see an r should be a t, like Bur, means But.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:14 AM   #3

All modern DSLRs are going to be an improvement PROVIDED you use the right lens. That's the rub. The "RIGHT" lens depends on the job. If you're doing insect macros then you want a lens that is considered a 1:1 macro lens - that means you can take a photo of a subject the size of the image sensor and it will fill the frame. Such a lens is NOT a kit lens for any dslr. Some macro lenses are 1:2. For wildlife - the lens depends on the type of wildlife. There are a few important factors - the most important being the focal length of the lens (if you are unfamiliar with terms, google is your friend). If you want to take a photo of a deer 5 meters away, that's not so difficult. If you want to take a photo of a small sparrow/finch 30 feet away that's exceedingly difficult. If you want to take photos of birds in flight that becomes VERY difficult - how difficult again depends on the bird. A large heron is not as challenging as a smaller, more erratic flying bird. In either canon or Nikon, I might suggest looking at the Sigma macro lenses - they're very good. The 70mm or 105mm EX DG Macro lenses are good options. The 150mm gets very expensive.
For wildlife - we need to know more about what you want to shoot to advise as to what lenses are needed. Be specific. You have to be careful - you can spend $1000 on a new DSLR and lens and still get poor results because what you might want to accomplish just isn't going to happen. As much as you might want to you're not taking good photos of a small sparrow from 40 feet away with a 300mm lens. From 10 feet away you might. But not 40.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the good and quick answser, so, let me see if i got it right, what realy maters is the right lenses right?

About the wildlive, i can not say that i shoot exclusively one kind of birds, or animal, but i can say the most usual is to photograph, egretīs and seagullīs, usualy theyīre at least at 40 feetīs, sometimes even more, and not always stationary, sometimes i try do catch them on fly, but with g11 i found it to be a quite hard job, but i believe itīs not just the machine, itīs hard to get birds on flight with zoom.