Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 9, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tjsnaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 652
Default I picked the wrong hobby

Hi folks

I have a dilemma I知 hope you can help me with.

The first thing you should know is that I知 not new at this, I致e been shooting for years with Nikon film equipment (an F and a FM ) I wanted an advanced camera when I made the switch to digital but all I could afford was a used D50. Many things were frustrating, lack of DOF preview, digging through the menu to change meter modes, tiny viewfinder, the camera is too small to hold comfortably etc.. But all in all I thought it did a good job. I liked the images I got.

But alas the camera just died.

I was saving for an upgrade but ended up unemployed for a while and that money went bye bye. Now I知 back to digital square one. No camera and very little money. To make matters worse I had some portrait jobs lined up.

I was thinking of buying a refurbed D3000 or D5000 just to get by until some time in the future. (a year at least.) And would like to hear your thoughts.

I知 leaning toward the D5000 even though that may take longer to get the money. Because it has a CMOS censor and I think live view would be good for still lifes and macros.

The lack of a focus motor is not an issue, I only have two AF lenses and they are both S type (I thought ahead)

Any input you have is welcome. Not having a camera is like having a body part cut off.

THX TJ
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnaps View Post
I was thinking of buying a refurbed D3000 or D5000 just to get by until some time in the future. (a year at least.) And would like to hear your thoughts.

I知 leaning toward the D5000 even though that may take longer to get the money. Because it has a CMOS censor and I think live view would be good for still lifes and macros.
That sounds like a good plan. The D5000 is a very good camera. It uses the
same 12MP CMOS sensor as the more expensive D90 and D300. I would
expect it to last considerably longer than a year.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 516
Default

tisnaps,
goodluck to you, am in same position. Was just about to upgrade camera when became out of work...glad I didn't now didn't need the debt.
Things will always pick up again, at least we will dust ourselves off, pick ourselves up and move on.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:26 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tjsnaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 652
Default

Well I did it, I plopped down the money for a refurbed D5000 from B&H so its top ramen for the next month. I tried Ebay but they are going for more there. (whats wrong with people?)

I really wanted something more advanced. Almost bought a used D80. but I think the newer technoligy was a better idea. Will be saving for a D7000 but first I need a good ultra wide.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnaps View Post
Well I did it, I plopped down the money for a refurbed D5000 from B&H so its top ramen for the next month. I tried Ebay but they are going for more there. (whats wrong with people?)
Good luck with the new camera.

Quote:
I really wanted something more advanced.
Based on your original post, I would say the D5000 is the perfect choice.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
tacticdesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnaps View Post
Well I did it, I plopped down the money for a refurbed D5000 from B&H so its top ramen for the next month.
Glad to hear you're back on line!

I saw your post on your D50!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tjsnaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 652
Default

Well the camera was supposed to be here Friday I paid extra for 3 day delivery I was looking forward to spending the weekend shooting and getting to know it. But alas the UPS driver could not find my apartment which is the first apartment you come to from the parking lot. So now they say Monday. I really went off on the supervisor they tried to charge me another $15 to bring it Saturday then they said it was already locked in a truck for Monday delivery.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsnaps View Post
Well the camera was supposed to be here Friday I paid extra for 3 day delivery I was looking forward to spending the weekend shooting and getting to know it. But alas the UPS driver could not find my apartment which is the first apartment you come to from the parking lot. So now they say Monday. I really went off on the supervisor they tried to charge me another $15 to bring it Saturday then they said it was already locked in a truck for Monday delivery.
It's the same on the other side of the Atlantic. 48hr delivery takes
3-5 days. Hang on in there, only a few hours to go. Actually about
30 minutes to Monday here.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:33 AM.