Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
It sounds like the D5100 would be a good fit. Especially for the "camping, parties and Friends etc..." you could use the higher ISO with the tough lighting conditions.

Is there an option for the D5100 with the 18-105mm lens?
I believe that the kit comes with 15-55mm VR lens and can buy additional for 18-105mm VR lens also (or buy body only and 18-105mm). Any particular reason for 18-105mm?

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 9:48 PM   #12

Our local camera stores has different D3100 kits that I can get. (Examples include the D3100 body only; D3100 w. 18-55mm; D3100 w. 18-105mm; D3100 w. 18-105mm and 55-300mm, etc.) And buying them as a kit, you save a bit of money over buying them separately.

I just asked whether you had that option as a kit, because if you're going to start out with one lens and just have one lens for a bit, then it would be nice to have a little extra reach.

Instead of having the 18-55mm (28-80mm equivalent) as a kit lens, maybe get the 18-105mm (28-150mm equivalent) instead so you could zoom in a bit more and extend the functionality / fun with the camera until you get the second lens. Who knows. Maybe you'll decide that lens is enough.

And having a little bigger overlap might reduce lens swapping if you get that second lens.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:27 PM   #13

tacticdesigns,

Thanks for the additional comments. You read my mind; I have been definitely planning to buy tele conversion lens for kid later on. I just let the kid started with kit lens first and get some experience. In the meantime, I researched for the another lenses. Oh, by the way kid asked for the D5100, so I decided to buy 5100 kit. What is the most useful lens (second lens) for micro & tele conversion lens (either Nikon or alternate) economically? I wouldn't buy so many lenses, I think two lenses is enough for kid. Please advice, thanks and appreciate it.
P.S. My personal preference tele lens would be the most 300mm (should I have VR/VC for tele lenses, noticed that a bit more expensive!).

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29

Last edited by UJEFROCNROL; Jul 16, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:15 AM   #14

What will be shot with the camera? That will help narrow down your choices.

If you need to shoot allot of action, it may seem strange but the d7000 is a paper tiger in this department. It has a great AF but only lets you shoot about 2.5 seconds at 6fps then is slows to 1fps till the buffer clear. While the d90 does not have as good AF but can burst longer.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:21 AM   #15

UJEFROCNROL,

There are a lot of different ways to go for a 2nd lens. There are super zooms, fast lenses, tele, macro/micro, fisheye. And even a lot of artistic lenses.

It really depends on what kid ends up shooting.

IMHO I say let kid shoot with the D5100 for a while and then when they consistently want to try to capture something that the lens just can't, then start exploring what lens would solve that problem.

I know this probably sounds like a non answer (and probably is), but just another different perspective.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:59 PM   #16

tacticdesigns,

I absolutely agree with you.
Generally kid has had school projects (some will have macro), camping, parties & friends and tennis club (only action). What would be a good fit? I'm just curious if the Nikon 70-300 VR would be a good fit, I'm not sure! I have 500D close up lens and I'm using it with my FZ40 at all time, so I don't have to buy another for macro and it can be combined with 70-300VR!

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
What will be shot with the camera? That will help narrow down your choices.

If you need to shoot allot of action, it may seem strange but the d7000 is a paper tiger in this department. It has a great AF but only lets you shoot about 2.5 seconds at 6fps then is slows to 1fps till the buffer clear. While the d90 does not have as good AF but can burst longer.
Hi shoturtle,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Appreciate it.
As I mentioned to tacticdesigns: "Generally kid has had school projects (some will have macro), camping, parties & friends and tennis club (only action)". I am welcome to advice for the second lens. (already have D5100+18-55mm)

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:50 PM   #18

well popping the 500D on the 70-300 will give you very good macro ability with that lens.

Since you got the d5100, the 70-300 will do okay in daylight tennis. The kids should get decent shots of the tennis in good daylight on the court.

The camping you have 2 options, add a sb600 flash for the night time stuff, or add a fast prime like the 35 1.8 or the new af-s 50 1.8.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:13 PM   #19

The longer focal length will come in handy.

As for the macro stuff, apparently Nikon released a reasonably priced micro (macro) lens for the DX format last week, but won't be shipping until August. ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...f28g_lens.html )

I don't know what it's like shooting at 40mm with a micro lens.

I'm just starting to use an old manual focus 100mm macro lens myself.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:28 PM   #20

shoturtle & tacticdesigns,

Thanks for y'all advices, it's easier to make a decision now.

Again, appreciate y'all.

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29