Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Default Canon T1i?

Hi folks,
you helped me last time when I was looking for a new p&s so I'm hoping you can give me some more feedback.

I've been kicking around the idea of a DSLR for a long time. I have looked at some and, on average, I think I like the Canon line. This will be a hobby camera and while my budget might be a bit flexible I'm hoping to keep it around $500-600 for the body and first lens. (I probably will buy a telephoto later but I'll worry about that cost later!)

The particular Canon I've been looking at is the T1i. I know it's not the newest "T" out there but, the others are more costly and I think the T1i would be sufficient for my needs. I think but, I'm not sure. From what I've read the T2i would do better action shots than the T1i but, it's not like I'm going to shoot a basket ball game or something.

I shoot three different things. First, lanscape/flower shots Outdoors in good light, nothing moving. Even my p&s does OK for that. Second is indoor home furnishing shots. (What can I say, it's a hobby and I post stuff on decor boards.) P&S isn't great for this since it's best to use no flash to retain true color and rooms can be dim at times. Third is photos of my dog. If I put her on a sit or down stay, p&s does take decent photos BUT I'm really tired of shooting photos of a dog that can't move.

My primary reason for buying a DSLR is so that I can take photos of my dog when she's moving. Maybe trotting across the yard, jumping up for a frisbee, weaving or jumping (we do agility) or whatever.

While I know some of the higher level Canon DSLRs would undoubtedly do a better job than the T1i, I really don't want to spend that kind of money just to take photos of my dog. (At agility trials I will have opportunities to buy photos from pros.)

Do you think a T1i would be OK for me?

Nancy
Whitdobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:39 PM   #2

Nevermind. I ordered one.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:43 PM   #3

That is a good camera. I have the newer 60D, but t1i is still a very good camera with excellent image quality when mated with good lenses. I still like to use the t1i.

Also next to the HD that the other T's does better. The AF system is the same for all the T's.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:49 PM   #4

I second Shoturtle. My first DSLR was the T1i and I really liked it. I still have it and use it often. Congrats on your purchase. I hope you enjoy it.

BUT, be warned, the moment you start too see the difference in quality, you'll want to shoot more and then acquire other lenses. It happens to everyone

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:45 PM   #5

Thanks Shoturtle and Shutterbug74! I have to say that I'm pretty excited and can't wait for the camera to arrive. I haven't used a SLR for a long time....like 20+ years. I have a very old OM1 kicking around somehwere.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitdobe View Post
Nevermind. I ordered one.
The T1i is a fine camera. I'm sure you will get excellent results from it.
Mine has taken 13,000 pictures in the last 17 months. No problems
so far.

Good Luck with the new camera.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:52 PM   #7

My wife keep beating me when we go out shooting, she uses Canon T1i and use a Canon 7D. All this time I thought it was the camera gear that made the photographer. T1i is a great little camera, it will do a wonderful job for you.