Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Looking for all purpose Point and Shoot

Hi everyone

I am looking for all purpose budget point and shoot camera.

Some of the features that are important to me:
  • easy to use/durable; accessible buttons, etc
  • LCD 3'
  • budget: up to $200
  • will be mainly used for family close up photos and travel ( landscapes, etc)
  • decent shutter speed and low light capability
  • size ( compact/mini-compact)
  • HD video mode - would be nice
  • Lithium batteries
Also, any suggestions on how much memory I need so that if I am going on vacation, it will last me for 2 wks.

Thank you for your help.
vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2011, 4:08 PM   #2

Where are you going on vacation?
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:11 PM   #3

Will be going to South Carolina in August. Any tips for me on the camera? I am going crazy reading reviews,etc. I just received few flyers and Nikon S4100 and Canon Power Shot Elph HS are on sale. But there are so many specs to compare that I am getting totally confused. Is there a decent all around camera out there to take pics of family/vacation/travel? I would be willing to go over $200. Thanks.
vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:06 PM   #4

Have you checked http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...0-cameras.html ?
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic4878 View Post
Hi everyone

I am looking for all purpose budget point and shoot camera.

Some of the features that are important to me:
  • easy to use/durable; accessible buttons, etc
  • LCD 3'
  • budget: up to $200
  • will be mainly used for family close up photos and travel ( landscapes, etc)
  • decent shutter speed and low light capability
  • size ( compact/mini-compact)
  • HD video mode - would be nice
  • Lithium batteries
Also, any suggestions on how much memory I need so that if I am going on vacation, it will last me for 2 wks.

Thank you for your help.
The Panasonic TZ10/ZS7 would tick all those boxes, except perhaps for being below $200..

The previous TZ7/ZS3 would definitely be worth looking at also as it appears to be highly regarded on these forums.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6

I would recommend picking up a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX5V. It takes nice looking photos and impressive video (1080i at 60fps in AVCHD-same .mts files used on bluray). This was Sony's top of the line compact mega-zoom from 2010, complete with 10x Zoom with 25mm wide angle G-series lens (top of the line for Sony). The camera also has a BSI-CMOS sensor that does very well in low light. The camera originally cost $350, but you can now find it on Amazon for around $185.00. You get more for your money with the HX5V than the Canon 300HS (which will run well over $200) or Nikon S4100 (lower end Nikon, which has poor low light performance and lousy video). I would skip the ZS10 that someone else recommended. It's $260 at Costco now and that's the cheapest price I have seen it at. I think the photo and video performance on the ZS10 is disappointing. If you can find a ZS7 (last year's model), you'll get a much better camera all around. I haven't seen left over ZS7 being discounted though. I guess if you're a Panny fan in the know, you're going to buy the ZS7 every time over the ZS10.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:54 AM   #7

Well, although I get a bit tired of saying it, I must highly recommend against the Sony HX5V. I currently own the Canon S95, Panasonic ZS7, Panasonic FZ40 and Sony HX5V. Out of those, the HX5V is the only one I would recommend against. The low light ability is limited to still life because the cam uses a 6-shot stacking mode to achieve its results. The still quality is ok in certain conditions, but typically is poor due to the very incapable Sony processing. The video is indeed excellent, but there are far more reasons to not buy the camera than there are reasons to buy it. btw, I would agree that the ZS7 is considerably better than the ZS10.