Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:14 AM   #1

Default overwhelmed, looking for long zoom p&s

I have been trying to research cameras, but am still confused, and would like to purchase before going on vacation soon. Looking for a decent length zoom (10x, even 8x would do) camera. Would like it to take decent indoor video (mostly for smaller-venue indoor concerts). Doesn't have to be HD but would like to be able to zoom while recording (but that's not a deal-breaker). From what I gather, the long zoom makes it difficult to take better pictures in lower/indoor light? Also read a CMOS sensor helps indoors (although I have no idea what that is)?

Also want it to be compact. In my searches, the Canon SX210 and 230 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS 8 and 10 come up a lot. Don't need the newest model if it will just give me features I won't use (like GPS). Also interested in decent battery life, and have read mixed reviews on the Canon.

Not tied to the cameras mentioned above, they just seem to be coming up in all my searches. Oh...and since I'm such an amateur, don't want to spend a lot - <$400, which the cameras above are.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:20 PM   #2

The smaller sensor and less bright lens that are necessarily part of having the long zoom in a pocketable cam negatively impact the cam's ability to shoot in low light. If you need the zoom though, then the SX230 is a good choice from current models.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:44 PM   #3

It's hard. So many cameras out there.

An older version of the Panasonic ZS8 or ZS10 is the ZS5. (I saw it on sale for $229CDN last week.) My dad has the ZS5 and he's really happy with it. I tried it and I could see myself having a lot of fun with it.

Have you been out to the camera shops to test out the cameras? That might help make up your mind.

I went camera shopping with a friend and she was in the same boat. Wanted something small. Decent zoom. Good auto mode, as she swears she will never take it off auto mode. We saw the Canon SX 210 / 230. I showed her the G12, S95. There was a Fujifilm in there. And then as I was mentioning the Panasonic ZS10, the guy at the camera shop was pulling it out as an option. She picked it up, tried it out and basically said this is the camera she was looking for.

We went to 2 other stores after that and she tried everything that was in that category. And she kept comparing them back to that Panasonic ZS10.

I'm not saying the ZS10 is the way to go.

But sometimes going out and picking up all the cameras, something will click and a couple of cameras may just stand out and just seems built for you.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:08 PM   #4

Thanks everyone. I am going out tomorrow to try out some cameras. I've been reading other posts in this forum and I've read that the picture quality on the ZS 8 and 10 aren't as good as the ZS 7 or the Canon SX230. I am going to check for postings of pictures because the people claiming this may be quite more advanced than me and able to see problems with photos that I wouldn't even notice. Does your friend use it for videos?

And now I'm reading that while the CMOS is better for lower light situations, the pictures aren't as good as CCD. But again, I don't know if I personally would be able to tell a difference.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:30 PM   #5

hello rhap
look into the pany fz100 / fuji HS10 / nikon S9100 / nikon p500 / fuji also has a EXR series which is supoosedly good
good luck and dont get overwhelmed take an SD card and try it out before you buy it
in the end the grip and how it feels is very imp as well
also look for one which has a EVF
and if RAW is imp then make sure it has that too
also look for a hotshoe
cheers
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deterpawson View Post
take an SD card and try it out before you buy it
Yeah. That's a good idea.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:38 PM   #7

Went to a camera shop. They didn't have all the cameras suggested but from the ones they had, I liked the size and feel of the Nikon S9100 and Canon SX230. After reading more reviews and looking at more pictures/videos online (forgot to bring a memory card), I had decided on the Canon. But one thing I read really bothered me - someone said you have to charge the battery internally. I had never read this before. What exactly does this mean (if it's true). How can the battery not be chargeable out of the camera? Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:54 PM   #8

I have no idea where you read that but it's impossible to charge the battery internally in the SX230. It uses an external charger (as do all Canons as far as I know).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:46 AM   #9

Thanks. It was one of the "cons" in one of the reviews I read yesterday after looking at the camera (I've read so many, I don't know where it was). It didn't make sense to me, but since I know virtually nothing about cameras I just wanted to ask. Hope to buy the camera after work today - it's on sale this week. Thanks to everyone who helped.