Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:36 AM   #1

Default Another Zoom question

I am ready to buy a camera, but am unsure which one I should get. Life took a toll on me, and I had to delay starting to really learn about cameras, so I am pretty new user, but I want to take some classes, and learn. I don't know if there is a single camera that really fits into what I am looking for. If not, than what is the closest?

I was showed the FZ40 on sale for $270, and almost bought one. Then I started looking around, and found the P500, and I started to worry about the Panasonic with it's big Zoom deficit. Is there any site that reviews both of them, and shows side by side pics of both cameras at max zoom? I am very curious to see how the zooms compare. Same thing if there is another camera I should be looking at.

If there is a camera that is about to be released, and is expected to be much better, please inform me. I am not in Immediate need, and am able to wait, if the camera has enough potential.

Anyways, I travel on a motorcycle, and will have the camera in a bag in front of me, so size and weight aren't issues.
I'll be shooting mainly daylight pics, often wildlife from across the field, or a lake

Priorities,
Zoom is the single most important thing to me
Fast Off to first picture time.
Good auto mode, where I can just turn it on, and take a pic with a gloved hand.
lcd that folds out, hopefully swivels would be awesome
Vibration reduction for my shaky hands
Good Macro ability
Manual controls, where I can grow and learn with
I like a wide lens

I would choose Zoom over image quality. Compared to what I have been using, anything would be an improvement lol.
Videos aren't important to me

In no special order, I have used, Nikon's, Panasonic, Canon, and Sony. I have never had a problem with any of them. I would gladly buy any of those brands again, but will consider any camera if it gets good reviews from the knowledgeable people here!

Thank You all for taking the time to read, and to help
Danballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:57 PM   #2

The FZ40 easily has the better IQ but since that doesn't seem to matter to you, and you mostly care about zoom, I'm not certain what you are asking.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:57 PM   #3

Well, I am trying to make sure that the P500 is worth getting. I was hoping to compare similar pics of the P500 vs FZ40 at max zoom. Also, I am trying to figure out if the P500 has enough manual control options that I will be able to keep using it as I progress, once I take some classes.

If there is a different camera that is a couple less zoom than the Nikon, but is far superior in every other way, I would be interested in that too.

Maybe i should have asked, Is there any reason I shouldn't get the P500? Right now, that is the camera I am trying to make sure is the one for me. I have been reading as many reviews as I can, but I have limited time to search. I thought maybe someone here can help guide me to check into a different camera. The FZ40 sounds great, but I can't find out to actually get hands on time with. I am not sure the zoom will be able to compete, which is the only reason I haven't gotten it already.

Maybe the sony (sorry I forget the model number, but I saw it in the store today) with the 35x zoom is much better then the Nikon?

Are there any new cameras soon to be released with the potential to have a higher zoom, or same zoom but with better quality?

I went to 4 different stores today, all had some panasonics, but none had the FZ40, or the FZ100 so I could experience the zoom ability firsthand. I have emailed Panasonic asking for them to recommend a store close to me that will have it, but I haven't received a reply yet.

I just don't want to buy a camera, and be disappointed with it, and so I am trying to listen to other people's opinions. I don't trust salesmen, so i ask here, where there aren't any commissions, or sales incentives for them to sell me something I won't enjoy.

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:54 PM   #4

All of that zoom comes at a price, which comes in the form of reduced resolution and increased distortion. While you may have the zoom, how useful it is beyond a certain point is another matter. There is always going to be a loss in quality at one or both ends of the zoom range. I would go with the Nikon over the Sony for what it's worth.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:20 AM   #5

Thank you very much for your help. I really do appreciate it.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Check out the following links for detailed reviews:

http://www.*********************/rou...-camera?rel=sb

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...shootout.shtml

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3S5C5D...wasThisHelpful (scroll to the top to find the start of the review).

Good luck!
SHS72ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:46 AM   #7

G'day Danballa

good on you for asking the Qs

Just another thought ... please remember that EVERY camera whose lens is over 20x zoom will give you camera shake issues, so that over 20x zoom you WILL need a tripod for best results

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:32 PM   #8

Another issue worth mentioning here is your aperture at full zoom. The panny goes down to a F5.6 that is pretty awesome in sun, even a cloudy weather is enough to choke it to death. Noise, shake, and pretty 'not' good image quality

So know it that this is 24. You go anywhere over this it gets worse.

In addition to this, as you go higher the 'magnification' becomes less distinct (in laymans' terms). So the 30+ number is rarely a major benefit because the IQ is killed

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote