Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:31 PM   #1

Default Entry dslr under 600 for car photography

Hello all,

Budget: 600 w/ lens
Types of car pictures: night, day, motion shots, car w/ scenery background.
MP: preferably 12 or above. 10 will probably be fine if necessary.

I would like to pose this question as finding out a good entry camera for car photography. I mainly will be using it for car photo's and occasional scenery shots here and there, but mainly 70% percent of the shots will be car photography.

If at all possible I would prefer a rotatable screen, but not necessary. For this budget, so far I've looked into the pentax k-x mainly because of the amount of compatible lens' available and it's great price point that occasionally I can find a refurb on woot for 400. Other than that, I've looked at the t1/2i from canon.

Going over my budget, I have looked at the Canon T3i and the Nikon d5100/d5000 hoping to land a great deal on it although it's above the budget.

Can you suggest any other camera's that I can look into or recommend anything else I should consider for what I want to use the camera for. Thanks for reading.
tatsujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2

When you say "car photography", are you talking racing or show? For car show photography just about any dSLR would work (including the KX), though I think you might want to consider about getting something wider than the kit lens sooner rather than later. The nice thing about a dSLR is that you don't have to get everything all at once.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
When you say "car photography", are you talking racing or show? For car show photography just about any dSLR would work (including the KX), though I think you might want to consider about getting something wider than the kit lens sooner rather than later. The nice thing about a dSLR is that you don't have to get everything all at once.
No, not necessarily. Just cars but some shots will be of racing/show shots.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:16 AM   #4

canon t1i or t2i form the canon refurbish store. As you need night shots and moving shots at times. Or if you have a cheapo canon point and shoot, you can get them even less with the canon loyalty program at 20% of the refurbished price. All you need is any canon camera, working or not. Here is their number 866-443-8002. Only available in the US with the canon loyalty program.

If you go the direct route you may want to look at the canon refurb at adorama, they come with a 1 year return to adorama warranty vs 90 form canon refurb. Here is what canon refurb store currently have.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_-1_29252#
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
canon t1i or t2i form the canon refurbish store. As you need night shots and moving shots at times. Or if you have a cheapo canon point and shoot, you can get them even less with the canon loyalty program at 20% of the refurbished price. All you need is any canon camera, working or not. Here is their number 866-443-8002. Only available in the US with the canon loyalty program.

If you go the direct route you may want to look at the canon refurb at adorama, they come with a 1 year return to adorama warranty vs 90 form canon refurb. Here is what canon refurb store currently have.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_-1_29252#
Hm, the canon loyalty program sounds like a great idea and if I can wait out for a t3i refurb, that would be a steal. However, I'm the only one I know that has a canon and I'm not ready to part with my current Canon.

I looked up adorama and saw the d5000 for 500; which I think would be a great deal? The biggest deal breaker of course is the swivel screen.

Do you guys have any other recommendations besides what I listed? For an extra 100 at 700 is there any other that is superior or better?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:44 AM   #6

ebay a broken canon for 5 dollars, it works also with the canon loyalty program
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:47 AM   #7

the nikon d5000 has a low res swivel lcd. And it will not use all nikon lenses, you need to get AF-s lenses for it to focus. And it is getting old, the t1i, and t2i are newer generation camera then the d5000 with a better AF system, and they take all eos lenses.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:55 AM   #8

PS the nikon refurb only come with a 90 day warranty form adorama. They only offer a 1 year with canon refurb products.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the nikon d5000 has a low res swivel lcd. And it will not use all nikon lenses, you need to get AF-s lenses for it to focus. And it is getting old, the t1i, and t2i are newer generation camera then the d5000 with a better AF system, and they take all eos lenses.
I will really have to keep an eye out on this. I really would prefer a t3i. I did a little more research into the program and found that it is dependent on the broken camera you would send in to see what refurb they would offer?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:32 AM   #10

if is is still working it is a bigger discount,