Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:58 AM   #1

Default Image Quality Panasonic DMC-FZ28 vs Olympus XZ-1

I've been using a Panasonic FZ28 for the past couple years and am not terribly happy with the image quality it's produced for me. Previous cameras were a Casio QV3000EX and a Konica Minolta Dimage Z10. After reviewing countless pictures, I'm much more impressed by the images those two produced than the Z28, despite 1/3 the resolution and no image stabilization. I've shot several thousand pictures on each.

I am curious about the larger sensor compact cameras such as the Olympus XZ-1, and wonder if it may be the ticket to get me back to the image quality I require. Looking at sample pictures from the XZ-1, they totally blow away anything I've ever achieved on my FZ28.

So can it be truthfully said that the XZ-1 will provide significantly better image quality in the majority of situations than the FZ28 (or any similar performing superzoom)? In particular, the FZ28 has really diappointed me in terms of image noise, low light performance, focus accuracy, and macro ability. Just by reading a few reviews, it seems the XZ-1 excels in these areas. But is it significantly better than all of the superzooms?

I wouldn't even be asking the last question except for two reasons. I much prefer the SLR-style body of the superzooms as opposed to the deck of cards compact style - but I don't want an interchangeable lens camera. Secondly, I would certainly miss the 18X zoom of my Panasonic. But I'd give these up if that's what it takes to achieve quality images on a budget these days.

Cheers!
aaroncgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:26 PM   #2

The XZ1 will give you better high ISO and low light images because the bright lens and larger image sensor (1/1.63 vs the FZ28's 1/2.3). The FZ28 low light/ high ISO performance is the downside to ALL superzoom cams. In order to have the long zoom in a convenient package the image sensor has to be small and the lens will be darker in order to get that zoom.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_MC View Post
The XZ1 will give you better high ISO and low light images because the bright lens and larger image sensor (1/1.63 vs the FZ28's 1/2.3). The FZ28 low light/ high ISO performance is the downside to ALL superzoom cams. In order to have the long zoom in a convenient package the image sensor has to be small and the lens will be darker in order to get that zoom.

Thanks for the reply, David, that makes sense.

The more I think about it, probably the best option for me will be two different cameras. Still cheaper and a lot more compact/light than going for a DSLR or M4/3.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncgi View Post
Thanks for the reply, David, that makes sense.

The more I think about it, probably the best option for me will be two different cameras. Still cheaper and a lot more compact/light than going for a DSLR or M4/3.
I've got a couple cams. A Canon S95 is my every day cam, but I also have an FZ40 bridge cam for certain occasions. Another option is to check out the Fuji S200 (discontinued long ago) before they totally disappear from the market. Bigger and heavier than any other bridge cam, but it has a 14x zoom and a sensor that is roughly the same size as the XZ-1.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I've got a couple cams. A Canon S95 is my every day cam, but I also have an FZ40 bridge cam for certain occasions. Another option is to check out the Fuji S200 (discontinued long ago) before they totally disappear from the market. Bigger and heavier than any other bridge cam, but it has a 14x zoom and a sensor that is roughly the same size as the XZ-1.
FivoO. Interesting camera, that S200, it looks like a beast! I probably ruled it out when shopping for my FZ28 because of the price and the heft. 1.8 pounds without the battery, yikes! I would say about 75% of my pictures are done while hiking with my wife. It's not so much the weight, as the volume that can become a problem. The camera needs to fit in my little water bottle pouch on the side of the pack so I don't have to take the pack off to shoot. My FZ28 barely fits, so no way would the S200, at more than double the volume. For short hikes I can just hang it around the neck, but that gets annoying, the more so the bigger and heavier it is. The S200 has really come down in price, comparable to what I paid for my FZ28 and about the same as the XZ-1. I'm sure I'd love the manual lens mounted zoom and focus, and all the other myriad controls, but it's just too much camera for my typical use. I'm more of a point and shoot guy these days.

I just placed an order for the XZ-1 today. I don't think I'll be disappointed.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:15 PM   #6

Quote:
If possible it would be great to get your impressions of the XZ-1 and perhaps a few pics after you've had a chance to use it and familiarize yourself with it.

There has been a fair amount of interest as to the performance and quality of this camera, here. It's always good to hear a user's point of view as opposed to a reviewer.

The post should be done in the Olympus forum.

Thanks you and good luck with your new camera

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:25 AM   #7

Zig,

Absolutely, that will be no problem. I've gotten a huge amount of education and enjoyment out of this site, it's only right that I feed a little bit of my own knowledge and experience back. I do understand that there's a relative dearth of XZ-1 information in the Olympus forum here, and would be happy to contribute any findings. It appears I should have the camera tomorrow, so I'll try to get shooting soon. I'm going on a super scenic vacation in the near future (Glacier National Park for almost a week), so it would be helpful to have a pretty good feel for the camera by then! I think I'll take at least two cameras, maybe three, just for some fun comparisons.

Cheers,

Aaron
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:27 PM   #8

Quote:
FivoO. Interesting camera, that S200, it looks like a beast! I probably ruled it out when shopping for my FZ28 because of the price and the heft. 1.8 pounds without the battery, yikes! I would say about 75% of my pictures are done while hiking with my wife. It's not so much the weight, as the volume that can become a problem. The camera needs to fit in my little water bottle pouch on the side of the pack so I don't have to take the pack off to shoot. My FZ28 barely fits, so no way would the S200, at more than double the volume. For short hikes I can just hang it around the neck, but that gets annoying, the more so the bigger and heavier it is. The S200 has really come down in price, comparable to what I paid for my FZ28 and about the same as the XZ-1. I'm sure I'd love the manual lens mounted zoom and focus, and all the other myriad controls, but it's just too much camera for my typical use. I'm more of a point and shoot guy these days.

ah well for hiking, that's a different story. To be honest, I don't even like to bring my FZ40 hiking and only do so if I'm hiking to a vista that has a lot of birds of prey (need that zoom). The Canon S95 is about as big as I will carry regularly, as I like to keep my cam in my pocket or the hip belt of my pack.