Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:19 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
... In Europe and in Germany for instant, the nikon is more then the canon. And no rebates like canon usa or nikon usa are running.
Well... I'm not very familiar with European vendors, except for Jessops. There, the Nikon discounts are even higher:

Canon 600D kit with lens for 699.95
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0182/show.html

Nikon D5100 Kit with lens for 619.95 (90 lower than the Canon kit)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0903/show.html

I'm seeing the same kind of price differences from other UK vendors when I look at http://www.amazon.co.uk (the Nikon kit is less expensive). Examples (selecting the listings with free shipping from Amazon UK):

Canon 600D kit for 692.87
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Nikon D5100 kit for 609.86
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Perhaps the Nikon kit is higher where the OP lives (and you'd have to check vendors to find out). But, it appears that Nikon has dropped prices on the D5100 in the UK and US.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:51 PM   #12

yes we do not know. every EU country is different and ever non eu country is different. It is a moot point to give rebates prices. I have visited every single country in the EU, and everyone is different, that is why their is a big gray market in the EU where camera's form one country is sold in another for bigger discounts.

And each country has a different VAT rate that affects the prices. That is why I said in my post to the op, as I do not know where he is located, I gave the US prices. And I left out the rebate as it is a moot point as they end some in july some in sept. And yes try going to sweden and norway and look at nikon lens prices vs canon as just an example.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 25, 2011 at 7:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:01 PM   #13

If you are starting out I would buy a second hand camera of ebay etc. Remember you are only starting out so spending big bucks and being sad afterwards is no joke!

Low light? WEll how low? A standard lens should be fine. As far as video recording is concerned. Buy a video camera,or borrow on from a friend. I would say Canon and Nikon are good cameras.SO? Go to a shop and feel them. That's the only way you can tell if you like one particular model. Do not spend too much money.
Why DSLR? Try a bridge camera. A Konika Monolta Z2 [old by digital standards] Has 10x optical zoom, good close up and shoots "video". for $80.00 second hand!
alggomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:02 PM   #14

If you are starting out I would buy a second hand camera of ebay etc. Remember you are only starting out so spending big bucks and being sad afterwards is no joke!

Low light? Well how low? A standard lens should be fine. As far as video recording is concerned. Buy a video camera,or borrow one from a friend. I would say Canon and Nikon are good cameras.SO? Go to a shop and feel them. That's the only way you can tell if you like one particular model. Do not spend too much money.
Why DSLR? Try a bridge camera. A Konika Monolta Z2 [old by digital standards] Has 10x optical zoom, good close up and shoots "video". for $80.00 second hand!
alggomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:45 PM   #15

dSLRs have a lot more moving parts that P&S digicams, and could have experienced significant use and abuse, and you'd have no way to know about it beforehand. Buying a second hand dSLR that, as it turns out, is on its last legs, can set you back a lot more than buying something with a warranty of some kind.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:06 AM   #16

I concur with TCav with going used, it is very risky to buy used. I know that I would not want to buy an old camera of mine. Though I take very good care of it, it gets a ton of uses. My 3 year old T1i has over 150k actuation on it, and I have 3 camera's that all see's allot of uses.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:30 AM   #17

Thanks Everyone, but i DO NOT WANT TO BUY SECOND HAND AND SECONDLY I DO NOT HAVE EBAY IN MY COUNTRY IF U NEED TO KNOW i live in Pakistan and so its even dangerous to buy new here esp nikon as they sell refurbs showing them as new. Leaning towards 60D now looked better to me anyways
filza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:37 AM   #18

The 60D is a excellent camera, it can do allot more. And with the risk with nikon refurb being passed off as new. I would go the safer route if the canon is that route.