Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Which camera best for K mount lens?

I couldn't figure out how to ask this, so here goes. I have a Pentax lens, which is a K mount. I want a new camera and want one I can use my lens on. I don't want to be limited to Pentax, and I know I can get an adaptor. So any suggestions for a camera. Love to get a Nikon or Canon. Thanks in advance.

Sid
cowichansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:29 PM   #2

What you are really asking about, is what is referred to as registration distance (distance from the sensor to the body's lens mounting structure), and it varies with the camera body make. Normally Canon is the shortest, with Pentax in the middle and Nikon is one of the longest. Therefore you can mount a Pentax or Nikon theoretically on a Canon, but not the other way around.
Now when you take another manufacturer's lens and put it on another make's body with an adapter, its a purely mechanical mounting interface. If the lens provides any information (what focal length, maximum aperture) or control interfaces (aperture control, auto focus by either screw drive or lens motor), these in all likelihood (there may be one or two instances) its not going to be supported. If you are lucky you might be able to get focus confirmation since that is body dependent. So you will have a purely manual lens - you set the aperture, you focus.....

The main problem you will run in to is focus at infinity. That will be a function of the design of the adapter. Some will allow infinity focus, while others ... YMMV (and you can not depend on cost, some of the more expensive adapters may not provide infinity focus.). There is also the diameter of the mount to consider that may also be a limiting factor.

For all intense purposes, Nikon is out, leaving you with either Pentax (with full control), or Canon, Sony or a four thirds body.

In terms of a camera recommendation, frankly it depends upon the lens. The lens may be a classic, or it could be just ok.

A good Pentax selection at a good price is the Kx model that was just replaced with the Kr. You can still find a Kx with a double kit lens set - i.e., the Kx body with a 18-55 and either a 50-200 or 55-300 lens set. The 55 -300 is better than the 50-200 (unless you like small sizes).

Last edited by interested_observer; Jul 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:35 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the reply. I should have know it wouldn't be something as easy as "does it fit". I appreciate you taking the time to answer and help to educate me as well. And my lens is an ok lens, nothing really great, I just thought it would be nice if I could use it. So, I'm going to be looking at refurbished Pentax camera's. I'm not real fond of the way the Canon's fit in my hand, do like the feel of the Nikon. And I know it's about how good a picture they take, but if they feel awkward to use, it defeats the purpose. I just want to be a happy little shutterbug. One of the reason's I'm looking to upgrade is because I do some food blogging, as well as a taking a lot of nature shots. And I need a multi-purpose camera. Again, thank you for the lesson.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:04 PM   #4

All of the cameras will do a fine job. The camera that you like to use will get used, otherwise it will just sit on the counter - not taking pictures.

You may find it difficult to find a Pentax to actually handle. Amazon is very good with their return policy.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:51 PM   #5

Exactly, the camera you like to use, will get used. One of the reasons I want to upgrade to get one with a viewfinder, the LCD screen is very hard to see in direct sunlight, and while you get a great overview of a picture, I still like looking in a viewfinder.

Thanks again for the input.

Sid