Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:00 AM   #11

The Canon G12 is good with virtually no noise to ISO-800, and ISO-1600 with little. It is without doubt the best of the crop, of what you would consider P&S cameras. Zoom is 5x but I think that would be sufficent for your needs, Video is good but canon left off the optical zoom, I guess still image performance was of more importance to them; as well as me.

I donít know for sure, but I think getting into most concerts with anything that even resembles a DSLR; is not looked on very well. Unfortunately they just donít make any do it all cameras, that would hurt their pocketbooks too much.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:43 PM   #12

The LX-5 is a good one also. The lens is just not a fast as the olympus xz-1. But for the shooting you want to do I would the lx-5 or the xz-1 would be your best bet. The g12 is a good camera, but it gives up a full stop of aperture to the xz-1, so is you were shooting something at 1600iso with the g12, you can use 800 with the oly. So you would have less noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annastar25 View Post
ill be mainly taking this camera with me for parties at clubs/outdoor/tents/warehouses/old buildings/& so on. the only main lights they have are the black lights/lazers & whatever lights for the dj both/stage. some have a ton of light (lazers) & some just have a few. if i print them out, they will be mostly 4x6 no bigger than 8x10.

also i will use it when my fiance & i go to dinner dates with a group of 10friends..we try to take pictures of the group & sometimes the picture comes out dark or you cant see everyone. so i just want it to get the whole group.

the panasonic lumix dmc-lx5 is looking really good to me
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40 View Post
I donít know for sure, but I think getting into most concerts with anything that even resembles a DSLR; is not looked on very well. Unfortunately they just donít make any do it all cameras, that would hurt their pocketbooks too much.
The G12 is a great camera, but it's a little too big for me. I'm not even sure if they would let me in concerts with the G12 because it does resemble a DSLR. Also, I need some zoom in the video and the G12 nor the S95 provide that. Thank you for your advice!
annastar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 8:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The LX-5 is a good one also. The lens is just not a fast as the olympus xz-1. But for the shooting you want to do I would the lx-5 or the xz-1 would be your best bet. .
I REALLY REALLY loved the xz-1 (fantastic pictures), but after number of videos I researched, the video quality of this camera is bad. It has a hard time focusing. That's why I think the lx-5 is the winner for me. It has good pictures and the video is great.

I was just wondering, how often does the camera companies upgrade? Just wondering, if in the next month or two, if either one of these cameras might get an upgrade? Thanks for all your advice in helping me choose a perfect camera for myself!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40 View Post
The Canon G12 is good with virtually no noise to ISO-800, and ISO-1600 with little. It is without doubt the best of the crop, of what you would consider P&S cameras.
Here are some 100% crops taken from RAW samples at PB. I love the G12 and think it's a fantastic P&S, but as you can see, there's plenty of noise at ISO-800 and even a fair amount below that. In reality, it's pretty unlikely that anyone will be printing anywhere near this size with a P&S cam; I'm simply pointing out that the noise is very much present.

ISO-800

ISO-800 RAW file

ISO-400

ISO-400 RAW file
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:28 AM   #16

Handheld XZ-1 Shots Indoors and Late Dusk:

P6190625 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P6180556 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P6180532 by LTZ470, on Flickr
4 Dramatic Tone Art Filter

P6180553 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P6180543 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P6180534 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P6190581 by LTZ470, on Flickr
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:20 AM   #17

this is a wonderful pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post

P6180543 by LTZ470, on Flickr
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:10 AM   #18

WOW, those are FANTASTIC! but how was the video???
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:03 PM   #19

Default It's not ideal but it does have decent low light picture quality

One camera I have and like is the Fuji F72exr (it's the same as the F70EXR). It has a 1/2" sensor which can be adjusted to maximize resolution, dynamic range, or low noise in low light. The zoom range is 27-270mm. I think dcresource had a good review of it. The dynamic range and the low noise setting reduce resolution to 5 megapixels but that is enough for good 8" X 10" prints. The downside is that it has just VGA video (640 X 480). You can get an F72EXR for less than $130, manufacturer refurbished, from a number of reputable dealers. I got one from MacMall. It arrived within 3 days of ordering and works fine.
If you had more money, I would recommend the Sony NEX-3 or NEX-5. They do decent HD video and are very good in low light.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:11 AM   #20

The G12 is a great camera, but if you're want to get into concerts--it is getting close to a DSLR and it's video quality isn't too great (but the pictures are stupendous). The S95 also takes outstanding pictures, so-so video--but you would have no problems getting it through security. If you're willing to take a slight sacrifice in IQ, but take true camcorder quality video, I would go with with the Sony HX9V. The still photos are quite good and it performs very well in low light conditions. It does not shoot raw though--I am not sure if that's a big deal for you. On the other hand, no other point and shoot takes video that is even remotely close to the level of the HX9V--which is comparable to a solid midrange to higher end consumer camcorder. It shoots full 1080p at 60fps, with great color reproduction and silky smooth movement. The optical image stabilization is top notch and the autofocus is tremendous--better than many dedicated camcorder. Sound quality is quite good, but for concerts you may want to sneak in a dedicated multi-directional recorder (Roland makes some reasonably priced ones that do a great job).
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote