Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:10 PM   #1

Default Realtor camera

I work with a Realtor who asked me what camera he should get to shoot house exteriors and interiors. I gave him a few ideas, but decided to throw it out here for a broader range of opinions.

The images will be published on line and emailed to clients. They do not have to be Arch. Digest quality, of course. A light, small camera with built-in flash and a decent wide angle to short telephoto lens should do. (That probably narrows it down a bit)

His experience is limited to P&S cameras. He does not want an DSLR and lenses.

Any suggestions will be appreciated/

Cheers~Jack
Jaxtivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:37 PM   #2

G'day Jax

Going on the above, I suggest any $100 3x-zoom p&s will probably do the job

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:41 PM   #3

P&S cameras don't generally go very wide, they don't generally work well without good light, and they don't generally support flash very well. For exteriors, a P&S should work well, but for good interior shots, he may need to go with a dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
P&S cameras don't generally go very wide, they don't generally work well without good light, and they don't generally support flash very well. For exteriors, a P&S should work well, but for good interior shots, he may need to go with a dSLR.
Hi,

I agree with TCav, in that p&s cameras, just wont get you there for a lot of reasons.
The sensor is too small to give you the image quality your looking for, without a flash, the image quality will be just too noisy for interior shots.

BUT, you're friend could look into one of the mirrorless cameras currently available. I was a real estate appraisor for 8 yrs and would have loved to have had an Olympus EPL-1 camera equipped with a 9-18mm and the 14-42 MCS lens that comes with that camera. The camera is small yet has a large sensor, accepts an external flash for indoor shots - should the need arise.
Image quality is exceptional.
Yes, it has the capability of changing lenses and that's a good thing. Your friend could get an EPL-3 with the kit lens, which, for all intents and purposes will provide a wide enough angle of view to take car of most interior shots.
The camera will provide great images in auto mode, so, no user intervention is necessary if all they want to do is point and shoot.

Good luck

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5

You can look at the Canon S95, Panasonic LX-5, or the Olympus XZ-1. They are probably suited to your specs. They have good wide angles and perform better in low light that most point and shoots.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:44 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I had suggested the same cameras as David_MC. The LX-5 has a 24 mm equiv. lens.

I also suggested an Olympus Pen, as I have a EPL1 and a 9-18, as suggested by zig-123.

Turns out I didn't have all the info. His wife wants to take up photography and will likely be the one taking the pics of the houses, as she is also a Realtor, though she is not active in the industry.

She is enamored by the Nikon D7000 but only wants to get the kit lens. I think that will not be wide enough, given that an 18 is about a 28mm equiv.

Again thanks for all the ideas.

Cheers~Jack
Jaxtivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:48 AM   #7

It will also not be fast enough.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:57 AM   #8

2 choices both from Tokina. Either the 12-24 or the 11-16. Both control distortion very well. The 11-16 is f2.8 and might be better than the 12-24 for interiors. The 12-24 is f4. They both come in a Nikon mount, but are not image stabilized.

Possibly going to the Pentax K5 - same sensor as the D7000, but has inbody image stabilization and you can use the DA 12-24 that is essentially the same lens.

You could go wider with the Sigma 8-16, but then you are probably getting too much distortion for real estate images.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote