Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:49 AM   #1

Default What bridge camera for under 300?

After about 40 years of using SLR's 35mm and digital I'm looking for something lighter to carry around! I currently have the Minolta 5D but with a nice 28-200mm lens it is weighing in at 2 1/4 lbs plus gadget bag.
I'm looking at the Fuji HS10 or similar. Must haves are viewfinder, manual focus and zoom. Any thoughts anyone for a similar camera. I know I'm probably not going to get the quality of an SLR but I'm wiling to accept this in this price range.
Rocketman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:46 PM   #2

G'day RM

Firstly, welcome to the forum - you've come to the right place for lots of helpful info ... and you're following in the footsteps of many others, me included

The HS10, HS20 are well liked for their overall performance & the option of manual focus when required. The panny cameras FZ40/100 also have manual focus via a small up/down button on the back of the camera

When you go into manual focus, the centre panel of the viewfinder opens up as a double-sized image so that you can easily see 'in' vs 'out' of focus ... so it does become an eay thing to do

As to quality - it varies ... but the lens is the important item here [and they're all pretty good lenses these days] ~ need to remember that over about 15x zoom camera shake becomes a major issue too :-( even tho the image stabilisation devices make it easier than it once was

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:55 AM   #3

Nikon Coolpix L120 is an amazing camera. I wasn't sure I was buying the right camera for what I wanted to do but this is just exactly what I wanted. It's amazingly easy to use, takes GREAT pictures, and the video feature is the best. I love how easy it is to record video with this camera. And the mic picks up sound easily. The only thing I would add to this camera is a volume control to boost up the sound when taking video. My husband likes the 20X zoom feature. Brings everything right to you. I would totally recommend this camera to anyone thinking of upgrading their point and shoot. This camera is well worth the price

Regards,
Peter Langone
langone_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:32 AM   #4

Default Decided

Thanks for your views.
I decided on the Fuji HS20 and got a good deal from Amazon (it came yesterday) I feel it's a sort of step down from my Minolta Dynax 5D I think as far as quality goes but as it's almost half the weight and with the added feature of HD video I'm hoping it will be convenient for 'grabbing' those moments with the granddaughter.
The Minolta 5D about 6 years ago cost me 800 with a 200mm Tamron lens so it'll be interesting to see how this HS20 for 292 with a 30x zoom compares!
I've not had chance to play around with it properly yet. I'll put up some photos when I get chance.
Rocketman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:52 PM   #5

G'day again RM

Good choice mate - enjoy the camera ... remember tho, you've got a lot to learn 'coz digital's a whole new ball game with so many new features & options

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote