Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:36 PM   #11

@tclune: since d5100 needs lenses with af motor, whereas 600d has this in the body (right!) if so, does it mean that add on lenses for d5100 will be more expensive than those required for d600?
tariq127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 1:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq127 View Post
@tclune: since d5100 needs lenses with af motor, whereas 600d has this in the body (right!) if so, does it mean that add on lenses for d5100 will be more expensive than those required for d600?
actually, no canon DSLR has an in-body motor. Canon has always been in-lens autofocus with the AF / AF-S lens mount. The only time you see a price difference is due to a newer version. For example the newer nikon 50mm 1.8 with focus motor is more expensive than the canon. If canon releases a new version of the 50mm 1.8 you can expect a price jump there.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:16 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I am not a JPEG shooter, but the JPEG out of a camera is very configurable. The one thing that I am aware of with respect to JPEG quality is that Nikon has a well-regarded capability, "Active D-Light," that is able to hold onto detail in the shadows of JPEGs. Normally, you need to shoot raw to do this kind of thing. Maybe Shoturtle is familiar with a similar capability in Canon cameras. I don't shoot Canon, and have been under the impression that this is a Nikon functionality only.
That Nikon feature is based on the Iridex engine from Apical Technology. See more about Apical and the technology they license to camera manufacturers here:

http://www.apical-imaging.com

Nikon calls it Active D-Lighting, Olympus calls it Shadow Adjustment Technology, and Sony calls it Dynamic Range Optimization. All 3 of them license technology from Apical.

As for Canon, they have some Highlight Tone Priority Settings that appear to do something similar. But, AFAIK, it's not based on any of the Apical Engines (or if it is, I don't think Apical has made that info public like they have for Nikon, Canon and Sony).

But, I really wouldn't consider one manufacturers' JPEGs to be significantly better than another manufacturer's JPEGs; since modern cameras are very tunable in a wide variety of areas.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:22 PM   #14

the jpeg is up for debate with the in camera jpegs. Oly has a heck of an in camera jpeg system. As much tweaking with the pentax or even the canon. It does require some post to get either to match the oly ooc jpeg. I tried it with a d300s as well some thing, could not match the oly jpeg.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:15 PM   #15

thanks JohnG, JimC and Shoturtle, for your expert opinions. As a result I feel quite comfortable to buy d5100. I ll be waiting for its availability at the only authorized dealer here for nikon. I saw one at a super market but it was more expensive. its made in thailand. Any advice / precaution while buying this product?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:18 PM   #16

i guess my recent post is lost!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:34 PM   #17

All the d5100 are made in Thailand, no issues with them.

Quote:
thanks JohnG, JimC and Shoturtle, for your expert opinions. As a result I feel quite comfortable to buy d5100. I ll be waiting for its availability at the only authorized dealer here for nikon. I saw one at a super market but it was more expensive. its made in thailand. Any advice / precaution while buying this product?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:34 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
i guess my recent post is lost!
No... only delayed.

Our spam filter flagged it for moderation (so, it didn't show up in the thread until I approved it). It sometimes does that with posts from new members (mistakenly flags posts for moderation, even though they are not spam).

Sorry about that. I'll go ahead and remove the newer post you made after that one, since it's mostly just a dupe of the first one.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:56 PM   #19

Thanks JimC ...
& thank you shoturtle for clarifying on make
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:07 PM   #20

JimC, you seem to be online ... any suggestion for a lightweight travel tripod at a reasonable price?