Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:20 PM   #21

Define reasonable price
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
or U can also visit www.snapsort.com and have a feature comparison.I too faced the same dilemma b4 falling for the Nikon D5100.
@Fayyz: I visited snapsort and any body can see that site seems to be biased! Although I have decided for d5100 and thats is because d600 (with comparable featues) is awkwardly pricy here
tariq127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Define reasonable price
Dear Showturtle, I have no idea about the price range, how ever going through one of the threads, they seem to be expensive - even more than the camera. yet i know they r v important for good photography. i ll go for anything reliable to hold the camera at minimum possible cost.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:29 PM   #24

oops! sorry for mis spelling your name, shoturtle
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:30 PM   #25

Paper stats mean little in the camera world. Best thing to look at is sample, and image resource's website to compare. They use out of camera jpegs. So it will be what the camera can do.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:04 PM   #26

what brands are available in your country. There are allot of under 100 dollar tripods out there that are good, in the US and Europe, but may not be available where you are. The bigger names like slik are good, like their pro series 700 line. Not sure if you can get vanguard but they have some good ones as well, I personally use cullmann's magna site line not to expensive either and very well made.

so knowing the brands you can get will help out determining a good tripod for the d5100.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:40 PM   #27

Ok & thanks Shoturtle, I ll go out to look for the available brands and come back to you for advise. I am relieved to learn about the expected cost
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:15 PM   #28

Got my D5100 with 18 - 55 kit lens today ...
Thank you all for your help
the wide angle lens (AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED) i wanted to buy but ... God! its expensive, costs us$ 1000. Can anybody hint a cheaper option?
Yet to buy a bag and a tripod!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:41 PM   #29

The Tokina 12-24 f/4 DX II is about $550. It is an absolutely wonderful UWA lens. Most reviewers rate the Sigmas a bit lower in build quality and sharpness, but they are still very well-regarded. The Sigma 10-20 f/4-4.6 is the older one, and is a good buy-- something like $480. The Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 is generally not seen as much different in quality, but it does have a fixed max aperture across all zooms but it costs a bit more than the Tokina and isn't quite as good a lens IME. All these lenses have a built-in focusing motor, so will work well on your D5100. The Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and the Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6 both have avid admirers, but they both lack a focusing motor for full compatibility with your D5100. Personally, I would avoid the Tamron 10-24 as the one UWA lens that just doesn't measure up. But any of the above lenses would be perfectly acceptable replacements for the Nikon glass. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:19 PM   #30

thanks tclune, i ll go and look for the ones you have suggested, though we have very limited options in this part of the world.