Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:27 PM   #1

Default Nikon d5100 or canon eos d550 ?

I am a starter for a dslr. i have narrowed my choice to nikon d5100. but dont know how it can be compared with canon d550. both cost exactly same price here. Any suggestions / comments to differentiate these two cameras will help me to make a choice. Thanks in advance!
tariq127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2011, 1:44 PM   #2

Go to DXOMark and compare the performance of the two cameras' sensors. That's about as objective as you're likely to get with these things. OTOH, folks really like one or the other camera for reasons that are a bit less quantifiable, but no less valid. Have you gotten your hands on both cameras yet?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:26 PM   #3

Tell us more about what you intend to shoot.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm
Canon EF-S 55-250mm
Canon EF-s 50mm
Olympus XZ-1
David_MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:51 PM   #4

if i were u i would look around for a good price on 600D. Surf the web or try craigslist i'm sure you can match the price with those two cameras.
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:11 PM   #5

dxo results are nice to know, but really do not mean much. As it is all about RAW workflow processing. Some have workflows favoring one over the other. If you are planning to do allot of RAW conversion and post processing to get the best jpeg you can. The nikon is a tad bit less noisy.

If you want good out of camera jpeg, the canon jpeg engine has better color production between the 2.

They are both good camera, the canon edge out the nikon in certain areas, AF is one and it can use all canon EOS lenses. The nikon you need to make sure it is an AF-s lens or has a built in motor form 3rd parties.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:53 AM   #6

In the end its down to you how it feels are the buttons in the right place its not a case of I will get used to it. You are investing in a system so make sure its the right one from the start. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:50 AM   #7

or U can also visit www.snapsort.com and have a feature comparison.I too faced the same dilemma b4 falling for the Nikon D5100.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:17 AM   #8

Default feel indebted by the response!

Thanks a lot tclune, David MC, idenny, shoturtle, wave 01 & Fayyaz for your conern and resposes.
@David MC: My usage will be more for family, indoors, portraits, and less for travel, landscape etc. I am new to dslr.
@ Fayyaz: I have gone through the feature comparisons but as a newbee its difficult for me to comprehend there significance, however i am tilted towards d5100. how had been your post purchase feeling with d5100.
After reading the comment of shoturtle above about better jpeg color production and lens flxibility about canon, I am reconsidering canon but the problem is that here canon D600 is 150 us$ more expensive than d5100 and in this part of world i dont have lot of buying options. now i dont know if d600 is worth that value as compared to d5100. d5100 seems to be better than 550D but comparable to 600D which is expensive here. any final suggestions?!!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq127 View Post
Thanks a lot tclune, David MC, idenny, shoturtle, wave 01 & Fayyaz for your conern and resposes.
@David MC: My usage will be more for family, indoors, portraits, and less for travel, landscape etc. I am new to dslr.
@ Fayyaz: I have gone through the feature comparisons but as a newbee its difficult for me to comprehend there significance, however i am tilted towards d5100. how had been your post purchase feeling with d5100.
After reading the comment of shoturtle above about better jpeg color production and lens flxibility about canon, I am reconsidering canon but the problem is that here canon D600 is 150 us$ more expensive than d5100 and in this part of world i dont have lot of buying options. now i dont know if d600 is worth that value as compared to d5100. d5100 seems to be better than 550D but comparable to 600D which is expensive here. any final suggestions?!!
I am not a JPEG shooter, but the JPEG out of a camera is very configurable. The one thing that I am aware of with respect to JPEG quality is that Nikon has a well-regarded capability, "Active D-Light," that is able to hold onto detail in the shadows of JPEGs. Normally, you need to shoot raw to do this kind of thing. Maybe Shoturtle is familiar with a similar capability in Canon cameras. I don't shoot Canon, and have been under the impression that this is a Nikon functionality only.

If you do shoot JPEG and buy Nikon, you should realize that Nikon default settings on their DSLRs are targeted toward people who post-process, so they set their default sharpening, saturation, etc. considerably more muted than does Canon. If you are planning on shooting JPEG and post-processing only if necessary, you should probably set these values to a more aggressive setting than their defaults. But, other than Active D-light, I am not aware of any intrinsic superiority in either brand's JPEG functionality.

Last edited by tclune; Aug 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2011, 12:29 PM   #10

Thanks tclune, for your analysis.