Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2011, 3:42 PM   #1

Default Camera Recommendation for a food blogger?

Now that I've figured out a little bit more about lens' and whether or not I can use a lens I already own. I do have another question. I do food blogging, and also take a lot of pictures at the beach, in nature, etc. Do I really need to invest in separate camera's or is there a good camera (also not too pricey), which could do the extreme close-ups as well as long distance shots.
Appreciate any and all information.

Sid
cowichansid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:39 PM   #2

any DSLR can do those things it all depends on the lenses you use
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 12:48 PM   #3

This is what I thought. I currently use a Kodak Easyshare 8612, and while I really love it, (actually it's my second one, the first died after taking 25,900 pictures). However, it's starting to do some 'funnies', just like my last one did, and I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. So, I guess my question is Nikon or Canon?

Sid
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:33 PM   #4

The question is how much are you willing to spend and carry?

Going to a dSLR is a physically larger unit. Also, your needs are at polar opposite ends of the spectrum. Low light close up and telephoto.

At the low light close up end - wide angle lenses are pretty good at close ups, but they are not macro lenses. You can also find a few that are reasonably fast - meaning that they operate in low light very well.

So, lets start there.

Since I am assuming that you are going to do your blogging images handheld, neither Canon nor Nikon provide image stabilization in wide angle. So, you would be looking for a body with image stabilization with a wide angle reasonably fast lens.

A good lens would be the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 - great image quality, sharp and reasonably fast. It comes in several camera mounts Canon, Nikon and Sony. Sony has in body stabilization.

The lens runs about $650.

There are several Sony models. To complement the low light lens, having a high ISO capability will help a great deal (ISO 12800). Taking the lower price body - would bring up the A55 and A33.

Both the A55 and A33 runs around $700.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:15 AM   #5

Thank you. Some very good questions for me to answer. One of the reasons I hadn't moved up yet, to a bulkier DSLR was because of the bulkiness. And quite frankly the camera I have now has enabled me to take some totally awesome shots, (right place, right time, camera on). I just wondered if I should/could move on up. I don't have a lot of disposable cash, and was going to start looking on ebay and amazon for refurbished cameras, as they seem to be the way to get something reasonably priced.

Thanks again, I appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.

Sid
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:10 PM   #6

Evening,

What it comes down to is, with your current camera, what can't you do? If the answer is that its doing everything you want - you currently have the right camera.

Wondering can be dangerous to your checking account.

In order to move up to a more capable camera, you need to know what you want it to do with it. In this way you will get one that will help in what your intentions are, as opposed to being a possible obstacle. In general dSLRs can be more difficult to use, are larger, cost more, etc.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the 'heads up', and wondering can be dangerous to the checking account.
I've been doing some research and I do want to get a camera that I can change lenses on. That way as I learn more, I can expand my picture taking capability. There are two I'm looking at right now. A Nikon D90 with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF lens, or a Canon Rebel with the Nikkor 50mm lens. Both of which will be in reach financially in a few months, unless I find a really good deal on Ebay in the meantime. I do like a lot of the pictures I take with the camera I have now, but it is starting to hesitate when I go to take a picture, and sometimes doesn't respond to a command. I've only taken about 2100 pictures with this particular camera, which was a factory refurbish... Oh well, again, I want to say thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. It is appreciated.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
A Nikon D90 with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AF lens, or a Canon Rebel with the Nikkor 50mm lens.
A Nikkor lens doesn't go on a Canon body under normal conditions so you would be better off with a Canon mount lens on a Canon body.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:54 PM   #9

Whoops. I meant to write a 50mm 1.8 AF lens to go with the Canon. Yikes, see what happens when you attempt to multi task, you get mixed up. I'm planning to go to a store and play with both camera's and see how they feel in my hands, because that is also a factor. If I'm not comfortable holding and using them, then there is no point to purchasing either one.

Thank you for setting me straight.