Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:04 AM   #1

Default Lenses for the T3i??

Hey. I've decided to buy the Canon T3i (can't afford the 5D) - quite specifically for video. I've been looking at different lenses that will serve my purpose, and quite frankly, I don't have enough experience/knowledge of lenses to decide which ones.

So far I feel as if the 50mm F/1.4 is one that I will be using often. Aside from that I have considered the 60mm F2.8 macro, but not quite sure if it will serve my purpose.

From the information I've been able to gather, it seems I should be looking into mostly prime lenses (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If anyone has any advice for what would be the best lenses for video with the T3i, I would be greatly appreciative. I was thinking of 2 or 3 lenses for up to a maximum of $2000. I'm the type to usually buy everything new - unless someone has good reason why it won't matter to buy lenses used.

Thanks for the help!
khama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:09 AM   #2

You're buying a dSLR for video, yet you're only looking at primes?

Prime lenses tend to provide better image quality than zooms, but video only uses, at most, 2MP of the T3i's 18MP image sensor, so all that extra image quality that primes provide will go to waste.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You're buying a dSLR for video, yet you're only looking at primes?

Prime lenses tend to provide better image quality than zooms, but video only uses, at most, 2MP of the T3i's 18MP image sensor, so all that extra image quality that primes provide will go to waste.

I'm fairly new to working with cameras. Usually I have just borrowed what I can and worked that way.

So you're saying I would be better off to use zoom lenses, considering that I don't use the sensor to maximum potential?
khama is offline   Reply With Quote