Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1

Default Canon 600D ?

Afternoon,

I'm still new to DSLR photography.

I think I've settled on the 600D after some months of deliberation. Ive been out on regular "touching sessions" playing with the 600D, 550D and the D5100.

Just wanted to make sure that there's nothing I have missed spec wise.

My plan for the camera is still only, wildlife and family shooting. I'm off to Kenya in December so I aim to buy a 70-300 canon before I go but will start out with kit lenses.

A random salesperson has mentioned the D5100 is better built to withstand the elements and dust of Kenya but im dubious of this. Will I have problems if I take precautions when changing lenses etc?

Anyone see any glaring problems with my specs and plans?
Didler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:24 AM   #2

I would suggest a regular cleaning of the sensor and lens. I live in a very dusty area, but I don't yet change lenses (still using kit lens). I know that if I did change lenses more often, I would need to clean it more often.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3

From handling the D5100 and various Canons, I don't think the D5100 is any better at withstanding the elements.

There are cameras that are advertised as more resistant to the elements, like the Pentax K-7 or K-5, with the WR weather resistant lenses. I think some people have even tested this out by holding their K-7 or K-5 in the shower and posting this to YouTube.

A different topic, but related . . . I just picked up a D5100 last week and opted for a 3-year "No fault protection plan" that our local camera shop was offering. It covers water damage, sand and dust damage, impact damage, etc . . . The guy at the shop said that he even had someone accidentally drive over their camera and it's replacement was covered by this protection plan.

Either way . . . for what you are planning to use the camera for, the Canon or Nikon sounds like it would do the trick!

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:49 AM   #4

Thanks for you replies.

Just spanked 550 on a D600 with the 18-55 kit lens. Cant wait to take my first pictures now.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 1:03 PM   #5

Congratulations! We can't wait to see them!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didler View Post
Thanks for you replies.

Just spanked 550 on a D600 with the 18-55 kit lens. Cant wait to take my first pictures now.
Post some pics up when you can
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:51 PM   #7

@ Dilder, what were your 2 most deciding reasons to choose 600D over D5100? I am also in the process of finalizing one out of two.
tariq127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 2:36 PM   #8

congrats on 600d you wont be disappointed
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq127 View Post
@ Dilder, what were your 2 most deciding reasons to choose 600D over D5100? I am also in the process of finalizing one out of two.
From what Ive read, been told, advised the 2 are so similar it boils down to personal preference. I preferred the feel of the 600D after having a little play with them both and that made up my mind.

Mine has arrived but apparently Im not allowed it until tomorrow for my 30th. Feel like Im living at home again at 12 years of age!!!