Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2011, 5:12 PM   #1

Default Cheap point and shoot

Many/most/all camera manufacturers do not provide an index in their user manuals so it is impossible to find pre-purchase information.

I need a cheap point and shoot camera for record keeping purposes.

I have only two needs: some sort of image stabilization and automatic date and time stamp on the image itself (not EXIF).

Can anyone point me to such a product?
jhg949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:17 PM   #2

You can easily find this information in the PDF user manuals posted online by simply using the search function, though every single manual has a ToC that you can refer to as well. Very, very few cams offer the date stamp feature b/c very, very people actually want that on their images. There is a ton of free and cheap software that can accomplish what you want in a few seconds so there isn't really any need to have it in-cam either.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:38 AM   #3

Default Thank you Fiveo

Thanks very much for answering my query, however...

I already knew I could acess the web sites of M manufacturers, find N cameras at each site, find the sometimes mysterious place where a user's manual might be available for download, download each manual, search each manual and then proceed to N-1 for that manufacturer.

This is NOT easily done. It IS a lot of work. I was hoping to avoid the hours and days needed to do such a search. However, I guess I'm blessed with the task.

In any camera I've ever seen (and I sure haven't seen that many) the date/time stamp is optional. That option is usually turned off and the user must take positive action to turn it on. Therefore, images are only "ruined" when the owner wishes to use that function.

Again, many thanks for your reply. I know you mean well.
jhg949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:59 PM   #4

G'day jhg

I came across a nikon P500?? the other day that seems to have a date-stamp option buried in its menu

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:45 PM   #5

Yes Ive had no problems finding camera manuals. Right now I just looked up on google... I've got a nice fairly old sony point and shoot dsc s600 (the modern kodak x15) two lithium aa batterys 4gb memory card its the go everywhere camera in my cars center console . Google subject line "manual for sony dsc s600" second link was to sony support page for the manual. Ive found the pdf's on canon t3. t3i, t2i my old olympus c2020z, c5050z, etc..... . just use google you find a free download from some source old or new cameras.

Last edited by bob1xxx; Aug 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2011, 3:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg949 View Post
Thanks very much for answering my query, however...

I already knew I could acess the web sites of M manufacturers, find N cameras at each site, find the sometimes mysterious place where a user's manual might be available for download, download each manual, search each manual and then proceed to N-1 for that manufacturer.

This is NOT easily done. It IS a lot of work. I was hoping to avoid the hours and days needed to do such a search. However, I guess I'm blessed with the task.

In any camera I've ever seen (and I sure haven't seen that many) the date/time stamp is optional. That option is usually turned off and the user must take positive action to turn it on. Therefore, images are only "ruined" when the owner wishes to use that function.

Again, many thanks for your reply. I know you mean well.
As I already stated, very, very few cameras on the market offer this feature and this is particularly true in regards to P&S cameras. Throw in your requirement for "cheap" and now there are even fewer cameras to choose from, since the market for for cheap P&S cams has largely been lost to cell phones. This question has been asked here before and had you searched, perhaps you would have found it.

p.s. There's no mystery to where various manufacturers put the user manual on their respective websites. It is always accessible from the camera product page. Also, I don't think there's anything unreasonable about you doing a little searching for the camera you want. Take your rude attitude elsewhere.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:54 AM   #7

jhg949,

Instead of a camera that can do this, maybe get a program that can do it afterwards (but in an automated way.)

I did a quick search on the Internet, and found this program that also has a free trial download.

http://www.batchphoto.com/howto/add-...tamp-date.html

[I don't know if it works. I've never tried it. If this one doesn't work, maybe there is something else out there that does work.]

Not sure if this might work for you, but if it might, then you can just concentrate on getting a cheap P&S and not have to worry about that feature on the camera. It might make things easier and cheaper with regards to finding a camera.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote