Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Default Camera for Mom's 80th

My brother, sister, and I want to buy our mother a new camera for her 80th birthday since her Canon A520 bought (around $175) in December of 2005 is kind of worn out. I haven't looked at camera's since then so I'm way out of the loop on what to get but we purchased her A520 based on recommendations here so I'm back for more advice.

She doesn't need anything fancy just something to point and shoot the easier to operate the better and this includes taking out the memory card to use in her card reader (I think she always found the A520 was pretty easy to use).

She mainly takes pictures of grand kids (indoors & outdoors) and then scenery outdoors, vacations, etc.

Can anyone recommend a camera to replace her A520 between $150-$200 (or cheaper if recommended) give or take?

Last edited by mccoady; Aug 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:24 PM   #2

Ok I've been reading some reviews on this website but since I'm not a camera guru I can't tell a whole lot of difference in these four besides price and series. Could someone explain to me the different series and if one would be better for my situation than another and rank the camera's average, good, better, best keeping in mind cost (bang for buck), easy to use, build quality and overkill of features she might never use?

Canon Powershot A3300 IS ($160)

Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS ($180)

Canon Powershot ELPH 300 HS ($200-$230)

Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS ($227)

Last edited by mccoady; Aug 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote