Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:29 PM   #11

I made the jump to a DSL last year. What do I wish I knew then?

Lenses are going to be far more expensive than the body. A system that has image stabilization built into the body will have less-expensive lenses, though the stabilization is not as good. So this may not matter today, but it will matter in the future because you fall in love with photography, but you marry the camera system.

Which one? Since you are taking a beginner's class, I'd recommend going to class empty-handed to try what the instructor and the other students have. Then buy the Canon. The kit lens is good, and the feature set is excellent. Time to upgrade? Plenty of options, and the equipment holds its value well when you're ready to sell/exchange.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 9:56 PM   #12

My recommendation if you can find a camera store that rents equipment, rent the camera with a lens your interested in buying and take a boat load of sample photos and see if you like the results. It can save you a lot of headaches getting a camera that the switch and button lay out drives you crazy or produces photos that are soft or too sharp for your tastes . I wish I did that back when I got my canon rebel XT.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:43 PM   #13

can really go wrong with any, but the nikon is down on features, like the ability to shoot a AV bracket. It is a very useful feature in quick changing lighting conditions. But it has a good lens growth path. You need to be careful if you pan on getting lenses, only AF-s series lenses will focus on the d3100 it does not have a built in motor in the body to drive AF series lenses.

The canon has the best lens part, and have good low cost lenses. It also has the best AF system of the 3 if you shoot any action. But the sensor is not as good in the high iso of 6400, where the other are workable.

The pentax is the best low light sensor of the group. But does not have as many lens option. Or a good range of low cost lenses like canon, an nikon to a degree.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:01 AM   #14

Hi everyone!! Well, I went, I saw, I held... and the Nikon felt awful, I couldn't get comfortable with it at all! I have long fingers (piano fingers they say.. Not that I cam play!) The Pentax was heavier than the Canon but both felt good. I'm leaning neither way now though!!! I keep thinking lenses range - Canon, slightly better features Pentax..? I shouldn't think I'll have lots of trouble getting any lenses to be honest.
Bpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:58 PM   #15

Canon has a lot stronger lens lineup. So if you are concern about lens progress path. You can not match the canon. What you do give up is a little low light abiltiy. 3200iso is really where you want to stop with the canon as you can work on it in PP to get a decent photo. The pentax will let you go to 6400 iso.

With your concerns I would go with the canon over the pentax. As you really do not want to shoot past 1600iso if you can avoid it.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:30 PM   #16

Canon are awesome but remember Nikon have some cracking prime lenses, esp the 35mm's.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:53 PM   #17

OP does not like the feel of the nikon. Make little sense to get body that is not ergo right for the user.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:41 PM   #18

Canon 1100D is a great camera. I know it is entry level but 12mp is more than enough for almost anything. It has some great features. You don't have to have a 1,000+ camera to take awesome shots.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:38 PM   #19

It's sounds stupid but it's like there's one piece of info I've not got yet that will make me decide! I've read loads of reviews, looked at loads of photographs from them both, been and looked at them both.. I don't seem to be having that moment of clarity saying "it's THAT one" I realise that quite soon after I've got my camera that all this faffing will seem so very naive and I'll wish I had such a simple problem when I start trying to get to grips with all these wierd and wonderful new things I'll be learning about! It's been really great reading your replies so thankyou! I will probably keep asking daft questions but I'm getting there!!
Bpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:43 PM   #20

What do you like to shoot, and what type of photography do you see yourself expanding into? That will help narrow down which is better for your needs. As there are some real strength to each system.