Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:49 PM   #1

Default 1st dslr?? Help - my brain's exploding!!!

Hi, I've always loved taking photograph's and have always wanted to learn how to properly. I'm booked on a beginner DSLR course and I'm beyond excited but the more I research what camera to buy the more confused I'm getting! I'm a bit of a 'list' person and will definitely spend '3 weeks researching, 3hours buying' I'm on a budget - aren't we all of around 400 (ish..) GBP and have narrowed down to (wait for it..!) Vanon EOS 1100d, Nikon D3100 and Pentax k-r. I've seen many questions / threads about these 3 and realise that there might not be a 'best' one in terms of quality but I'm still unsure as to the right one in terms of my own needs which are:
1- ability to grow with camera
2- good range of lenses to grow with my system
3- I will primarily be taking photo's of 'things' e.g. Places, landscapes, city and town, buildings etc.

Thanks so much for any help and advice!!!!!!!
Bpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:30 PM   #2

G'day BP

Firstly - welcome to the forum [ we're a nice & chatty mob here, so please ask lots of Qs ]

Whether you buy the Canon or Nikon or Pentax models mentioned really does not matter - for your purposes they're all the same
It's a bit like buying a car - as a beginner you want a car that is reliable and does what you need it to do, so it doesn't matter whether it's a ford or a peugeot or a whatever
However, buying a camera is very like buying a pair of shoes ... it must fit your hands & eyes ... or you'll never be happy with it

I suggest that you sit down in several of your local camera shops - or with friends who have one of your target cameras and play with it
Ask yourself - how heavy is it? -how easy is it to 'do' the menus? -how many shortcut buttons does it have? -when I put my eye to the eyepiece, do I see to the corners of the image? -what sort of battery does it use & how many pix do I get from a battery charge? -how much is a 2nd battery? ... and so on

They you will have YOUR camera, not one that a mate has suggested ... ie- would you buy a car simply because your mate said "get that one .. because it's blue it goes like the clappers and gives you a good ride?"

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 4:58 PM   #3

For what you say you want to do, there isn't much that distinguishes one dSLR from another. I suggest you go to a good camera store, try them out, and buy the one that fits best. If you can't comfortably hold a camera, if you can't find the controls and commands when you need them, you'll be dissatisfied with the camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:00 PM   #4

hi
well they say when buying into a DSLR you buy into a lens system rather than a body
i would look at a camera that has built in image stabiliser as the lenses are a tad cheaper
good luck
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:19 AM   #5

Hi when you buy a SDLR its buying into a system so check whats in that system for you. Canon and Nikon have the largest collection of lenses also there are the third party ones to look at too. Go and try them out if it feels right then its a good indication dont settle for I will get used it.. Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:28 AM   #6

Hey Bpix,

"my brain's exploding!!!" . . . <grin>

Yeah.

As most people are saying, these are all good cameras. But for each person, they will choose a different camera because certain features on a particular model is more important to them.

Would it be helpful if people who choose Nikon told you why they decided Nikon, and Canon people tell you why they choose Canon, etc. etc.?

Then you can sift through the different points and decide which ones you think are important to you.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:38 AM   #7

I will answer that I had a choice of 3 cameras on my short list nikon d90 canon 550d or an olympus e620. I ruled out the oly too small in my hands so that left 2. Both were ok to hold but the canon felt that bit moe easier to hold and use. Hence Thats the one I got and not had any regrets either. Hope that helps
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:48 AM   #8

All 3 are fine cameras. The k-r is probably a bit better than the other 2 - but only marginally. The tough thing with Pentax is, they've really reduced their presence in the brick and mortar market - at least in the States. So you often have to buy their products here site-unseen. I would not recommend buying a DSLR unless you can check it out first-hand. Ergonomics are different and what is good for one person is bad for another. So, if there's a local store that stocks all 3, give each of them a try. All 3 systems have lenses that will allow you to do what you want to do and all 3 cameras are capable. But as another poster mentioned, one camera's ergonomics may appeal to you more than another's.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:23 AM   #9

Wow, thanks everyone for taking the time to help me!!! I'm going into town tomorrow to have a play with each of them so I might have a few more questions!! I did hear that the Pentax was slightly better but that their future wads uncertain and lenses might not be as easy to get hold of? I'll be visiting the Far East again where last time I took over 800 pictures - about 60 of them having people in them!!! I took lots of city pics, the hubub of traffic, buildings etc and a lot of temples inc Angkor which were good but not that great but I cherish them and I do display them. I had a p&s 8mp camera and blew up a pic of the alleyways of Vietnam onto A2 size with no loss of quality. I'll post again tomorrow. Thanks so much again! Feeling miles more confident now!!
Bpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:27 PM   #10

Pentax has better presence in camera stores in England than it does in the US. However, lenses are always easy to order on-line (how I've usually bought mine), and there's millions of old lenses that will work on their dSLR cameras.

As far as the future, I've been hearing that Pentax was going out of business since 2003, when I bought my first dSLR. They haven't yet. And I can't imagine a major corporation (Ricoh) shelling out a lot of money to buy the Pentax camera division if they don't have some positive plans for the future (assuming the deal closes in October, the announced schedule).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote