Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:27 PM   #11

What about the standard Canon lens that comes with it? The 18-135. How could would that be? If I just learned to flash more pictures, would that be an ok lens?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:10 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
...Insurance valued it all at $2144, I am being sent a check for $1144. So, I need new gear.

...The stuff stolen was Sony Alpha gear, which I did love, but I'm realizing that most pros use either Canon or Nikon, which also means there are many more accessories available for them.
What accessories did you need that you didn't find for your Sony? Just because there may be more "stuff" available for different brand, doesn't mean that it's something you need to take good photos. Are those accessories more important than the features you liked (or should I say "loved") about your Sony?

For example, did you like the built in GPS? Hand Held Auto HDR? How about Fast Autofocus Live View (AF using Live View is very slow with competing brands)? Or, how about Continuous AF when shooting Video? Stabilization with every lens, including bright primes? Smaller size and weight compared to traditional dSLR designs? Yep... you know the drill. ;-)

I'd think about why you went with the Sony A55 to begin with (as it's SLT design does offer some interesting benefits), and decide what features you found to be important in real world use when looking at a new system. If they were on paper only, they didn't help anything. Ditto for the available accessories for the Canon system you're looking at. I'd think about whether or not you'd really use anything that you couldn't get for the Sony. For example, does it really make any difference if there are 20 different lenses covering the focal lengths you use more often if you don't need but one or two? ;-)

Quote:
edit: Also, with that combo, I would sell the 2 lenses and buy something with a higher aperture. Most likely a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I had it for only about 3 weeks for my Sony Alpha before it got stolen. I loved it the little time I had it.
Loved it, huh?

$1144 to start with to replace it, huh?

A55 Body only for $699:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for $434 after rebate (and as you already know, the model without VC is stabilized on a Sony body, not to mention that it's smaller, lighter, sharper, and less expensive compared to the VC versions with stabilization built into the lens):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_XR_Di.html

Or, if you're not in a hurry and want to add more money with what you get back from insurance, the new Sony A65 (just announced this morning) is going to ship in October for a body only price of $899. You could always buy a basic kit (it's going to be $999 with the 18-55mm kit lens) and buy more lenses like that Tamron later. Or, save up for the just announced Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM lens.

Compared to your A55, it will have a new 24 megapixel sensor, a new OLED EVF with higher resolution and faster refresh times, as well as new video modes like 1080/60p and 1080/24p.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...ex_models.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
What accessories did you need that you didn't find for your Sony? Just because there may be more "stuff" available for different brand, doesn't mean that it's something you need to take good photos. Are those accessories more important than the features you liked (or should I say "loved") about your Sony?

For example, did you like the built in GPS? Hand Held Auto HDR? How about Fast Autofocus Live View (AF using Live View is very slow with competing brands)? Or, how about Continuous AF when shooting Video? Stabilization with every lens, including bright primes? Smaller size and weight compared to traditional dSLR designs? Yep... you know the drill. ;-)

I'd think about why you went with the Sony A55 to begin with (as it's SLT design does offer some interesting benefits), and decide what features you found to be important in real world use when looking at a new system. If they were on paper only, they didn't help anything. Ditto for the available accessories for the Canon system you're looking at. I'd think about whether or not you'd really use anything that you couldn't get for the Sony. For example, does it really make any difference if there are 20 different lenses covering the focal lengths you use more often if you don't need but one or two? ;-)

Loved it, huh?

$1144 to start with to replace it, huh?

A55 Body only for $699:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for $434 after rebate (and as you already know, the model without VC is stabilized on a Sony body, not to mention that it's smaller, lighter, sharper, and less expensive compared to the VC versions with stabilization built into the lens):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_XR_Di.html

Or, if you're not in a hurry and want to add more money with what you get back from insurance, the new Sony A65 (just announced this morning) is going to ship in October for a body only price of $899. You could always buy a basic kit (it's going to be $999 with the 18-55mm kit lens) and buy more lenses like that Tamron later. Or, save up for the just announced Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM lens.

Compared to your A55, it will have a new 24 megapixel sensor, a new OLED EVF with higher resolution and faster refresh times, as well as new video modes like 1080/60p and 1080/24p.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/news/...ex_models.html

Yea, I suppose that's true. For me, I wish Sony had the following which it doesn't:
Lightroom Tethering
More Battery Grips
More flashes/lenses to choose from.

The big thing for me is that there's been a few times where people have offered to let me use expensive lenses, etc, but usually only for Canon. I only know of one person personally that uses Sony Alpha, which means there are lots of accessories I could use, but I can't since I had a Sony Alpha.

I did love my Sony Alpha, and the a65 is tempting, but then again I remember lots of times where I said I wish I'd gone with Canon or Nikon. We'll see...
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:52 PM   #14
Administrator

Lightroom tethering, huh?

That's something I need to look into.

My A700 can be tethered via Sony's software, and there are third party plugins that allow it (as well as the A850 and A900) to be tethered via Lightroom, too. Here's a vendor that has them for Lightroom:

http://dslrsoftware.com/

But, I don't know about the new Sony models. Interestingly, I've had my Sony A700 since September 2007 (same month that it was introduced), and I've never even tried that feature (even though Sony's included software supports tethering with it). It's just not something I've needed to use.

But, then again, I've never tried the remote control that Sony included with it either (it's still in the box, and I've never even put a battery in it to make sure it works). :-)

As for flashes, they've got some nice ones, and the way the newer HVL-F43AM and HVL-F58AM can rotate is neat. I don't see where there is any issue there. Ditto for battery grips for their more advanced models (I don't see what they'd need to offer anything different unless I'm just missing something). But, I haven't paid much attention to any grips offered (or not offered) for the models under the A7xx level.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Lightroom tethering, huh?

That's something I need to look into.

My A700 can be tethered via Sony's software, and there are third party plugins that allow it (as well as the A850 and A900) to be tethered via Lightroom, too. Here's a vendor that has them for Lightroom:

http://dslrsoftware.com/

But, I don't know about the new Sony models. Interestingly, I've had my Sony A700 since September 2007 (same month that it was introduced), and I've never even tried that feature (even though Sony's included software supports tethering with it). It's just not something I've needed to use.

But, then again, I've never tried the remote control that Sony included with it either (it's still in the box, and I've never even put a battery in it to make sure it works). :-)
Yea, I know my a55 couldn't do it, and if they did release it for the a77 or a65, it would probably be awhile.

Plus I have a job doing photography so I really need to buy a new camera within a week or 2. I can't wait until mid-October.

Maybe once I have more money I can buy a Sony Alpha DSLR as a backup for fun.