Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:02 PM   #1

Default I need to buy all new gear.

So, as you may have seen in my other post, my car was stolen along with all of my photography equipment. Insurance valued it all at $2144, I am being sent a check for $1144. So, I need new gear. I'm currently looking at a Canon 60D. I found a combo that includes the body, 18-135 lens, 55-200 lens (Both are Canon) for around $1200. However they would be refurbished, so only include a 90 day warranty. Would that be terrible?

I also would need to buy new batteries, flashes, memory card, etc, as well as the hard drive that was in there and the pelican case itself.

If anyone else has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated. I was also looking at the Nikon D7000, but Canon appeals to me just because I have a film EF Canon body and lens. The stuff stolen was Sony Alpha gear, which I did love, but I'm realizing that most pros use either Canon or Nikon, which also means there are many more accessories available for them.

Help please!!

edit: Also, with that combo, I would sell the 2 lenses and buy something with a higher aperture. Most likely a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I had it for only about 3 weeks for my Sony Alpha before it got stolen. I loved it the little time I had it.

Last edited by adamvk; Aug 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:41 PM   #2

Your EF lenses will carry right over to the digital Canon bodies, so that by itself makes a compelling argument. The lenses in the kit you mention are not the best that is available, so you might consider a different kit depending on your shooting style. Not knowing what lenses you already have and what you want to spend, its hard to make any concrete recommendations. Here's a nice kit:

Canon T3i or 60d
24-70mm f2.8 or 24-105mm IS f4 or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 that you already like;
Canon 70-300mm IS or Tamron 70-300mm SP
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:50 PM   #3

Yea the reason why I like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is because it's good performance at a low price. I'm aware that the lenses that come with the kit are crap, I'm going to sell them. I want to spend probably a max of around $1700 for now. The must haves are the body itself, a good lens, and a good flash. I'll buy another lens a little later.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:41 AM   #4

You may want to check out used gear at KEH.com. I just took a look at their site and they are now offering 6 month warranty on used equipment, and you would be able to buy the body and lenses you need, rather than start with a standard kit and have to swap things around. I haven't checked prices on the gear you mention, so can't say if it would work, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:34 AM   #5

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a gem and a bargain (a rare confluence) on a stabilized body. The stabilized version isn't as good, and the unstabilized version on an unstabilized body will be unstabilized (duh.) If you'll be using flash anyway, then it doesn't matter as much, though.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
Yea the reason why I like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is because it's good performance at a low price. I'm aware that the lenses that come with the kit are crap, I'm going to sell them. I want to spend probably a max of around $1700 for now. The must haves are the body itself, a good lens, and a good flash. I'll buy another lens a little later.
Why buy a kit, then sell off the lenses, when you can buy a 60D body only? That would make more sense to me, unless that kit is allowing you to get a bargain on the 60D; after you sell the included lenses. Also, selling things in this economy can be hard, and take some time. So, you'll want to consider that as well.

As for refurbs, I bought a refurb 50D from Adorama, and mine has been solid. They offer a 1 year warranty on Canon refurbs, which is a plus. The only issue I've had with my camera is with live view, which I rarely use anyway. I was going to send it in for a replacement, however Adorama was out of refurb 50Ds at the time, so I just said forget it. I think my one year warranty is about to run up this fall.

Good luck, stinks to hear you lost your car and gear to thieves.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
You may want to check out used gear at KEH.com. I just took a look at their site and they are now offering 6 month warranty on used equipment, and you would be able to buy the body and lenses you need, rather than start with a standard kit and have to swap things around. I haven't checked prices on the gear you mention, so can't say if it would work, though.

brian
Good call. I should look there. I forgot they're offering a 6 month warranty now. I just bought a film slr from them 2 days before all my digital stuff was stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a gem and a bargain (a rare confluence) on a stabilized body. The stabilized version isn't as good, and the unstabilized version on an unstabilized body will be unstabilized (duh.) If you'll be using flash anyway, then it doesn't matter as much, though.
So the 60D doesn't have image stabilization? I guess I've just been use to the luxury of Sony Alpha where all of the bodies have it built in. How bad would the stabilized version be? And why would it be bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Why buy a kit, then sell off the lenses, when you can buy a 60D body only? That would make more sense to me, unless that kit is allowing you to get a bargain on the 60D; after you sell the included lenses. Also, selling things in this economy can be hard, and take some time. So, you'll want to consider that as well.

As for refurbs, I bought a refurb 50D from Adorama, and mine has been solid. They offer a 1 year warranty on Canon refurbs, which is a plus. The only issue I've had with my camera is with live view, which I rarely use anyway. I was going to send it in for a replacement, however Adorama was out of refurb 50Ds at the time, so I just said forget it. I think my one year warranty is about to run up this fall.

Good luck, stinks to hear you lost your car and gear to thieves.
Well I'm looking at a combo (refurb) that includes the 60D body, a 18-135, a 55-200, and a camera bag for around $1200. The 18-135 is worth ~$350, while the 55-200 is worth around ~$160, so it would worth it I think, but maybe not if it's refurbished....Hmm. I did check Adorama for refurbished 60ds, but I didn't see any. Do they have a refurbished section I'm missing or something?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:33 PM   #8

Canon doesn't put IS in the body, so that isn't an option.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
So the 60D doesn't have image stabilization? I guess I've just been use to the luxury of Sony Alpha where all of the bodies have it built in. How bad would the stabilized version be? And why would it be bad?
No. Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization in some of their lenses. Sony and Pentax put it in the body, so all lenses, including 20+ year old lenses on the used market, are stabilized.

The stabilized version of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 has 19 elements in 14 groups, while the unstabilized one has 16 elements in 13 groups. It has a lot more vignetting, and it isn't nearly as sharp, even stopped down. The stabilized Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS is better than the stabilized Tamron VC, but not as good as the unstabilized Tamron, and it's a lot more expensive. But, as I said, if you'll be using flash, the stabilization won't mean as much.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
No. Canon and Nikon use optical image stabilization in some of their lenses. Sony and Pentax put it in the body, so all lenses, including 20+ year old lenses on the used market, are stabilized.

The stabilized version of the Tamron 17-50/2.8 has 19 elements in 14 groups, while the unstabilized one has 16 elements in 13 groups. It has a lot more vignetting, and it isn't nearly as sharp, even stopped down. The stabilized Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS is better than the stabilized Tamron VC, but not as good as the unstabilized Tamron, and it's a lot more expensive. But, as I said, if you'll be using flash, the stabilization won't mean as much.
But I don't use flash that often though, usually just for portraits and inside. Most of my shooting is landscapes, wildlife, etc.

What would be a good lens for the 60D for under $600? I want at least a 2.8 aperture, and I want it to be wide angle with zoom