Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:14 PM   #11

The S95 is similar in performance to the G11/12, with (I believe) a faster lens and inevitably less manual controls. It is much smaller than the G-series - vest pocket size. An excellent camera for quick auto shots, with very good IQ and pretty good low light performance for a compact, but still nowhere near the performance of a DSLR.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:31 PM   #12

The s95 is a great little point and shoot with decent low light ability just a tad better then the g12. But if you need a flash, it does not have the ability to add a hot shoe flash. So in really poor lighting that little extra 2/3 of a stop in aperture wide open will not do much.

But like others have said, has decent image quality, but no where near a dslr or m4/3 in image quality or the ability to control the dof
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:49 AM   #13

Default Saw these DSLRs at Costco today

My local Costco has a Canon Rebel T2i kit for 849.99 and a Nikon D3100 kit for 779.99.

The Nikon comes with 18-55VR and 55-200VR lenes.

The Canon comes with 18-55IS and 55-250IS lenses.

Do you think I'd be getting much more camera than I need for family memory photography? Are these deals worth it? Are these cameras appropriate for my needs?

Thanks again. I really appreciate all of the input you guys gave in the first round. I'm probably going to pull the trigger and order or buy something by the beginning of September and want to make sure I explore all of my options.

James
James6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:58 AM   #14

James, both are great camera/lens combos. Remember though - you'll need to use flash indoors. built-in flashes on DSLRs aren't much better than built-in flashes on digicams. So, you're going to want an external flash that you can bounce off the walls or ceiling to enable better quality photos (and faster recycle time - built in flashes use the same battery as the rest of the camera and take a while to recharge - external flashes use their own battery power and recharge much faster). So, keep that external flash in mind. You'll need it to realize better indoor photos than what digicams deliver.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:05 PM   #15

I think the resolution of the T2i is much higher than that of the D3100. And be careful that (if I'm right) the D3100 doesn't have the screw for focussing so it will only take some of the Nikon lenses. I agree with John's point about flashes, but I find that the on-board flash on my 7D is actually quite useful, to the extent that I wish my 5D also had it. I have separate flashes but quite often use the internal one instead.