Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:15 PM   #11

all about the fz150, link from point/shoot panasonic thread here at Steve's. Supposed to have better low light performance, $500. I'm looking at getting one very soon.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz150/index.html
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:32 PM   #12

I noticed photographyblog has already reviewed the FZ150... video looks to be as good as Sony HX9v/HX100v, but the video stabilization might not be as good. The picture IQ is definitely a step up though, still not sure if it's worth an extra $150-200 for video alone.

Are you saying that the FZ150 can record and play video on an HDTV at the same time?
celebration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebration View Post
Do any of these cameras have an option where you can connect it to your HDTV (via HDMI most likely) and see what you're recording in real time?
I have not seen anything specifically addressing that yet.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:40 AM   #14

Just a question about the Sony HX9v, says at photographyblog:
Quote:
Manual mode that lets you independently set the aperture and shutter speed, which will instantly appeal to the more experienced photographer
Then it says:
Quote:
the ability to choose from 30 - 1/1600th second shutter speeds and set both the aperture and shutter speed if you wish opens up a lot of creative potential
And finally:
Quote:
Sadly there are no Aperture or Shutter priority modes, which would have narrowed the skill gap between Program and Manual
Is the ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed different from there being Aperture and Shutter priority modes? What is the difference between Program and Manual? And what do aperture and shutter priority modes do?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Is the ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed different from there being Aperture and Shutter priority modes? What is the difference between Program and Manual? And what do aperture and shutter priority modes do?

Manual mode lets you set both aperture and shutter. Shutter priority allows you to set shutter and the camera sets aperture automatically. Aperture priority allows you to set aperture and sets shutter for you. Program Auto mode doesn't allow you to set either, but unlike the full Auto mode, you can set ISO, flash on/off, and other parameters.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:56 PM   #16

Ok, so I can set Aperture or Shutter priority modes in manual, just not in program?

Is that a big con?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Ok, so I can set Aperture or Shutter priority modes in manual, just not in program?

Is that a big con?
I wouldn't say it's a con, but it's going to require more experience (or just trial and error) to select the appropriate settings for both.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:14 PM   #18

Ah ok thanks, I finally understand, you've been quite the help during this learning process for me.

Reviews are coming out for the Panasonic FZ150, is it everything you hoped it would be thus far?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Ah ok thanks, I finally understand, you've been quite the help during this learning process for me.
np

Quote:
Reviews are coming out for the Panasonic FZ150, is it everything you hoped it would be thus far?
Well I wasn't a big fan of the FZ100, so I am pleasantly surprised by the FZ150. However, since the FZ47 has better IQ than the FZ150 and offers Full HD, that one interests me a bit more. I don't think the improvements are enough that I will trade in my FZ40 though.