Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:14 AM   #1

Default Which camera should I buy..need suggestions

Well, I am pretty expirienced photographer, but with analog cameras... I had Canons, Nikons, Olympus...Metzablitz...Tamrons, Sigmas...etc
Now, I need help to buy new one, digital, and my budget is cca 500 S .. and I am thinking between Fuji HS10..HS20... Canon SX30IS... Nikon p500...Panasonic FZ100... Olympus 800UZ.. I know that is compromise, but I can not wait for extra money to buy DSLR with all objectives I need... 28...35...55... 135....300....up to 700... Please, tell me Your reasons and arguments in short time, I cant wait long... Extra thanks for Your oppinions
Miiodrag Bozovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:54 AM   #2

Well they all have their pros and cons. The Panasonic FZ40, which you didn't list, is probably the best current model in terms of IQ with the SX30 coming in 2nd. The SX30 is far better at the long end than the wide end. The HS20 has a manual zoom so it isn't terribly useful for video. The Oly cam falls below the rest in IQ by quite a bit imho. If you can wait a little bit, Panasonic's FZ47 and FZ150 look pretty good and Canon will likely soon announce the SX40. What are your primary needs? Stills/video? etc
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3

Go for the Panasonic FZ4045;FZ47/48 and FZ150 but avoid the FZ100.
The reasons to prefer panasonic are;Best lenses, Leica. Not excessive and needless zoom but moerate zoom,but close-up and tele converters extend their creative potential beyond any models from other companies.Excellent video capabilities.Very good colours and image quality,excellent auto-focus speed and accuracy,user friendly ergonomics and menues,excellent scores on reviews.

That's more than enough to go for them

Last edited by wanaclick; Aug 28, 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling errors
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Thanks, 5 O and Wanaclick... I prefer still photos, video is not important, but, there is another question, after Your posts, can I use any filters, converters with any of these, that will be more important than video... i donc care about video, with or without zoom... FZ 40, well, I thought that FZ 100 is better, but now I see its not, but You didnt say why.... Thanks once more...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:24 PM   #5

You don't say what country you're in. If available I would prefer to look for a used DSLR than any of these. I often read of people who've upgraded from the Canon T2i (550D) to a 7D, which means they have probably sold their T2i. That is an excellent camera, and used with the kit lens should come in under your target.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiodrag Bozovic View Post
Thanks, 5 O and Wanaclick... I prefer still photos, video is not important, but, there is another question, after Your posts, can I use any filters, converters with any of these, that will be more important than video... i donc care about video, with or without zoom... FZ 40, well, I thought that FZ 100 is better, but now I see its not, but You didnt say why.... Thanks once more...
The FZ100 is their flagship model, but the sensor it uses produces inferior quality still images to the FZ40. The images from the FZ40 are sharper and retain slightly more detail. However, the color reproduction on the FZ100 is better. Hopefully, both the upcoming models (FZ47/48 and FZ150) will offer the better color reproduction. The FZ47/48 still appears to have better image quality than the FZ150, though the gap has lessened.

Yes, you can use filters/converters on all of the Panasonic cams and the Canon SX30 as well. I am not sure about the other cams you mentioned.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:39 AM   #7

I think that I understood Your explanations, and there are my conclusions...
Wannaclick... I will avoid FZ 100, but I live in Serbia, and there is no even roumors abot FZ48..nor FZ150, but I will be missing FZ100's hot shoe and 11/sec burst shooting mode..and also 60 sec long exposure
5 O, I also don't know when SX40 will appear in this area, and looking on various Web sites, i didn't notice any dramatic distinctions from SX30....
So, my friends, I am pretty shure, that my choice will be Canon SX30... and now i need to know, what accesories, filters, adapters to by also....for the first step... what are Your recomendations...
Also... thanks Peterbj7, I know that You are probably right... but I prefere a new stuff, with guarantie... etc...
Thanks... once more !!!

Last edited by Miiodrag Bozovic; Sep 2, 2011 at 8:46 AM.