Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:59 PM   #1

Default best P&S in auto mode

I am looking to get my mom a new camera and she will only use it in auto mode! which do you think would be the best in auto mode? she's hoping for at least 10 times zoom but that's about all for her wish list besides a good auto mode. I would like it to have crisp sharp clear images, not too soft as most of her pics are taken inside. suggestions please...
lin7604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:49 PM   #2

Did you have a budget in mind?
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:39 AM   #3

400 and under
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:20 AM   #4

I don't know too many models of point-and-shoot cameras, but for that budget, one camera that I have tried (and helped a friend choose) is the Panasonic ZS10.

After a few weeks of getting used to the camera she came by and showed me the picts that she was getting and asked if they were turning out. She's a strictly auto mode photog and the pictures she was showing me was impressing me with what the camera was able to do in full auto mode.

She was showing me pictures of her kids at Chuck-E-Cheese's where there's really bright windows behind and right beside her kids faces, and the camera is correctly firing the flash and the faces are coming out nice and "properly" exposed.

I pointed this out and she was happy that she didn't have to go off auto mode to get good pictures.

And it has a couple of "my scene" positions on the dial, so since I thought she might not remember how to force the flash on or off, I set-up a "my scene" to force the flash on, and I think there was another mode I told her to use when she wanted to force the flash off. (No diving into menus or flash button.) And then auto for the rest.

My mom has the ZS5 and she uses it in full auto mode and gets great results. She really likes the pictures that it takes.

Just a thought. But from these Panasonics that I've seen and used, I'm really impressed with their auto modes.

Might want to check this (or the cheaper Panasonic ZS8 out).

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:27 PM   #5

thx, i will look into both of your selections ...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6

The new sony hx9v is really good camera in automode.
jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote