Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 4, 2011, 8:47 PM   #1

Default Best DSLR for me?

Once again, I am considering switching from Point and Shoot (Canon S90) to an SLR. Reason? I am not satisfied with the quality of the pictures, especially indoors. Obviously, I realize so much depends on the user. But I have experimented with settings until I'm blue in the face.

Here are the main things important for me:
Entry level (easy to use--I have never used SLR and will have a lot to learn)
Light (as light as possible for an SLR--I'm a small person and cannot lug around anything very heavy).

Thanks for suggestions,
Barbara
bkford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2011, 6:29 AM   #2

If size and weight are a primary consideration, you might look at one of the many EVIL cameras. Olympus m4/3 cameras are well supported with lenses and accessories.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:54 AM   #3

I think its a case of going and trying out some cameras. If its size and weight the 4/3 cameras and as said by Tcav EVIL
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
I think its a case of going and trying out some cameras. If its size and weight the 4/3 cameras and as said by Tcav EVIL
Thanks, I'll look into these suggestions.
bkford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:33 AM   #5

If I may suggest get an entry level dslr like the Nikon D3100 or Canon 550d and pair it not with a zoom but with a prime lens like a 35mm 1.8 or possibly a sigma 30mm 1.4 (although I don't like sigmas).

It will be very light and you will learn a lot about photography with such a combination as zooming in and out to make a photograph is not an option. You will have to move around to get a better perspective and you might actually like that. Also a f/1.8 prime is as good as it is going to get for low light and primes weigh much less than zooms anyways.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
If I may suggest get an entry level dslr like the Nikon D3100 or Canon 550d and pair it not with a zoom but with a prime lens like a 35mm 1.8 or possibly a sigma 30mm 1.4 (although I don't like sigmas).
This isn't a bad approach. My first lens with my D5000 was the Nikon 35 f/1.8, and it was a good combination. However, if I were doing it now, I'd probably get the new Nikon 40 f/1.8 macro. That lens looks like it has better optics based on the SlrGear review, and it also would allow you to explore macro photography. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote