Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2011, 9:59 PM   #1

Default Superzoom advice

Looking for a bridge camera to sit between our point & shoot and my DSLR. I'm hoping to get something that does video and has a 25x to 30x range with IS. Also, autofocus and autozoom during video are highly desired as is a wireless remote that can start/stop video and external flash capability.

The Sony HX100V would be my #1 choice but doesn't have a remote or support external flash.

The Fuji HS20 EXR looks good too. It has all the features I'm looking for but it's not clear whether the remote can start and stop video or control the zoom.

Not looking for a DSLR or micro 4/3 mainly because in addition to the size I don't want to be carrying a camera bag with me and most of the 4/3 cameras do not have motorized zoom, assuming I can even find a remote control which zooms from the remote...
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2

G'day JZ

Pretty sure that the Fuji has a manually operated zoom - thus no remote can do it for you
As to the rest - I think you'll need to trawl the dpreview site for fine details

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:58 AM   #3

thanks phil.
jzucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 4:57 PM   #4

No bridge camera that I am aware of has wireless remote capabilities. There are plenty of dedicated camcorders that have remote capabilities though.

I think the 25-30x zoom is a bit of a waste as you will lose a considerable amount of quality at one or both ends of the lens. The Canon SX30 for example looks horrendous at the wide end and the Panasonic 24x bridge cams are just hitting the upper limit, which is probably why Panasonic chose to go no further on this year's models.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:08 PM   #5

ok, thanks. So what would be your recommendation of what comes closest to my goals?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:05 AM   #6

I am partial to Panasonic's bridge cams, which all offer 24x zoom. The IQ on last year's FZ100 wasn't great. The FZ40 had better IQ but didn't offer Full HD. Both of this year's models (FZ47 and FZ150) seem to have good IQ and both offer Full HD as well. The CCD-based cam (FZ47) has better IQ once again, but the gap is much smaller this year. If you want the articulating screen, RAW, and a fast burst mode, the FZ150 is the way to go. Both cams seem to have very nice color this year, but the FZ150 color is a little better I'd bet since it is CMOS-based. In terms of video, the FZ100 was versatile enough that it could truly replace a dedicated camcorder. The FZ150 will surely offer more of the same ... the FZ47 may also.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:02 PM   #7

Thanks, i didn't realize the FZ150 was out yet?