Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Default Beginner

I've posted once before about buying a Digital Camera but have now been informed i should start out with an SLR/DSLR. My tutor told me that it would be useful having a camera that has alot of different settings to play about with and get used to. I would be taking mostly macro or scenery pictures and have very little desire for videos but to be honest i don't have a clue as to which camera to buy. i have roughly 400 to spend

Any advice on what to get would be brilliant, thanks
supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2011, 1:23 PM   #2

what type of pictures are you going to take and what course do you need it for I see you have mentioned macro and landscape
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:48 PM   #3

Since you mentioned "tutor" I'm guessing you are taking a class or something? That might have a bearing on what you get, course requirements.

As far as macro and landscape goes, pretty much any dSLR camera can do that. If that's your primary emphasis, then I'd try to find a camera store that carries all of the entry level dSLR cameras (Pentax, Sony, Nikon, Olympus and Canon) and handle each one. They are all different sizes, shapes with different controls and menus. There's nothing worse than trying to use a camera that's too heavy so your arms get tired, too light for you to hold steady, has controls too far apart for your fingers or too close together for your fingers so you keep pushing the wrong button, or who's one feature you love to use/change is buried under 4 levels of menu, where another camera has a handy button that changes it. The best camera in the world won't take that award-winning shot or priceless memory picture if its in your closet at home because you don't find it comfortable to use.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:16 PM   #4

thanks very much for your help. It's a Graphic Design course so i'd be picturing finished products mostly but i could be asked to design leaflets or posters various things so im not too sure what camera to look for (sorry i'm not much help) i don't think i should be looking for anything in particular, im just not sure where to start really
supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote