Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:16 AM   #1

Default What lenses for 60D?

Hey Guys,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to photography, but I thought the time was right for me to upgrade to an SLR and I have selected the 60D as my main choice.

Now the hard decision is what lens/es to get with it.
My mate has convinced me that I should get a 50mm lens with it to start, but I'm thinking I may want something with an 18mm reach as well, to do more close up shots.

I was thinking maybe the Canon 18-135 would be a good choice, because I want a bit of telephoto going on as well, but I've heard they aren't the best quality lens, especially for close up shots.

Budget wise I'm not 100% sure what to go with, but I can get the body for about $900 Australian, and a 50mm for about $85 Australian. So probably only looking at around $200-300 extra for another lens.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers, James
JamesMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:07 AM   #2

31 views and no replies, devastated guys :'(

:P
JamesMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:09 AM   #3

First, "Wide Angle" does not equal "Close Up".

Second, it's generally better to select the lens(es) you want, and then pick a body that it (they) will fit. It seems you've come at it from the other direction.

A dSLR is a system, and the body is just a common accessory to which you attach your lenses, et al. It won't take long for you to spend more, often much more, on lenses and accessories than on a body, so selecting the appropriate system is more important than selecting the appropriate body (though the Canon 60D is quite a good choice.)

With that said, there are few lenses as flexible and as good as the Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM for what it seems you want to do, though it won't do "close up". Plus, it exceeds your budget by quite a large margin. Perhaps you should reconsider how you want to spend your money.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:43 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMoriarty View Post
31 views and no replies, devastated guys :'(
:P
You expect a reply in two hours! Sometimes you might have to wait two weeks.

Quote:
My mate has convinced me that I should get a 50mm lens with it to start, but I'm thinking I may want something with an 18mm reach as well, to do more close up shots.
50mm on a crop sensor camera like the 60D has a fairly limited field
of view. As TCav has already said, wide angle lenses are not usually
used for close-up or macro shooting.

Quote:
I was thinking maybe the Canon 18-135 would be a good choice, because I want a bit of telephoto going on as well, but I've heard they aren't the best quality lens, especially for close up shots.
The 18-135mm is a good general purpose zoom lens. It has similar
optical quality to the 18-55mm kit lens and slightly better build quality.
It is not designed as a close-up or macro lens.

Quote:
Budget wise I'm not 100% sure what to go with, but I can get the body for about $900 Australian, and a 50mm for about $85 Australian. So probably only looking at around $200-300 extra for another lens.
If this is your first DSLR, the kit lens (either 18-55 or 18-135) is probably
a good option and great value. You can't really go wrong when you buy
the 50mm f/1.8. If you can get it for just $85, you should be able to get
your money back if you decide to sell it. As the 50mm f/1.8 is a fast
and sharp lens, it works very well with close-up adapter lenses or
extension tubes for macro shots.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:00 AM   #5

Hi and welcome 60d is a good camera you could save a little money and get the 600d/T3i, they both use the same sensor. With the money saved you could put it towards a lens. What do you take pictures of you have said close ups but what else it may help us give better advice
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2011, 1:36 PM   #6

JM....sometimes it may show '35' views, etc but that only indicates the thread was viewed in general. It doesn't differentiate if its viewed by members and/or non-members. Non-Members cannot make a reply.

As for lenses, I'd say thing about what shooting you want to do and the range. Perhaps you could try the kit lens and the 18-135 in the store to see the range and judge from there. I find that I rather like the option of the longer zoom for the typing of shooting I enjoy.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:24 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The 18-135 is one of the poorer Canon optics.

I would rather have a twin lens kit: 18-55 + 55-250 for around the same price.

A better choice though if you can afford it would be the 15-85.

Check out the blur charts at slrgear.com
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:28 PM   #8

My fast 50 lens is my least used lens, it's not a focal length I like on a cropped sensor camera (mine was originally purchased for a film camera). I prefer something between 30-35 as a "normal" lens.

My thought is that you should get the camera and the kit lens, then use that for a while to find out what the combination can do and where you find yourself limited by it. Save the money for another lens until you decide what it is you really need - what's going to fit your interests. My first lens purchase was for a longer telephoto lens since I like detail and wanted to bring things in closer and shoot outside mostly. My second purchase was a macro, again because that's where my interests led me. Other people will want a wide angle instead because that's what fits their interests and they aren't into landscape/macro.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote