Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:52 AM   #1

Default Which one Canon or Panasonic..

Hi,
I am about to buy a new superzoom cam.

2 of them in particular interest me a lot.

If we do not look at all the "options", LCD size and all this stuff but look at the lens quality in general. Crips colours, sharpness, details and so on should I buy a Panasonic or a Canon? (of course not dslr quality) but in compact cams quality.

Please do not comment or suggest others than these 2 cams, as I already read lot of reviews and also had a Fuji HS20 which I sent back again.

Now the choice is between the new FZ150 and the new SX40HS.

The answer is only for lens quality and picture "result" not accessories or features in general.
Thanks in advance.
bimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:36 AM   #2

My comment does not really address your query, but is that Canon really stand by their products whereas Panasonic and many others don't. If you have a problem with a Canon they will repair it, quite often at no cost to you regardless of the warranty having expired. In my experience, if a Panasonic fails you just throw it away.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
My comment does not really address your query, but is that Canon really stand by their products whereas Panasonic and many others don't. If you have a problem with a Canon they will repair it, quite often at no cost to you regardless of the warranty having expired. In my experience, if a Panasonic fails you just throw it away.
Thanks,
I own a lots of device from Panasonic and never had issues with "warranty" or service.

Anyway, please answer to this thread only about image quality in general with bridge/compact between Canon and Pana, thanks :-)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:10 AM   #4

I own a FZ100. It is the way to go. The leica lens on it is great. I also own the Lumix ZS3. Love them both.
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:39 AM   #5

thanks for answering.

Any other comments about IQ between the lenses in general.

I saw some samples between the SX30IS and FZ38 and FZ48, the SX30 loses. But in my opinion the SX30IS was not a "complete" cam.

Now with SX40HS Digic V and less MP seems a better solution, but the FZ150 seems a "monster" in its class.

I hope in more comments until som samples from the SX40 show around.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Canon products also break a lot more often than Panasonic products and after the warranty is up (1 year), Canon won't pay a dime to fix anything. I have never had Canon willing to fix anything after the warranty. I can't comment on the Panasonic warranty and none of my Panasonic products have ever broken, from my plasma TV on down to my ZS7 and everything in between.

Back to the OP's question, FZ47 for still IQ, FZ150 for burst or slightly better video. I wasn't impressed with the SX30 and I'm not impressed with the SX40. Before someone accuses me of being a Panasonic fanboy though, I will mention that my everyday pocket cam is a Canon S95.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:32 AM   #7

I have Panasonic Plasma G20, Panasonic BR/3D DVD Player, Panasonic shaver

BUT, Canon printer and the old good Canon A610 camera, so I like both.
Panasonic products are SOLID like rock, but also the Canon I used are very good built.

Why the FZ47 for IQ and FZ 150 for burst and video? The drop to 12MP in the FZ150 should give same IQ of the FZ47.

Are you saying that because of the CCD in FZ47, it will give better images?

Maybe you are right, but there is no RAW, Hot Shoe, and a fixed LCD in the FZ47.

I have never tried RAW but I would like to now, just to see...

I just hope that the FZ150 has crisp, sharp and good colours pics, not state of the art but good, very usable pics.

The SX40HS disappoints me for missing RAW (in year 2011) and I have not seen any test yet, so all the rest is speculations.

I will wait a week until somebody shows something, before ordering the FZ150.

Last edited by bimbobo; Sep 18, 2011 at 4:35 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbobo View Post
Why the FZ47 for IQ and FZ 150 for burst and video? The drop to 12MP in the FZ150 should give same IQ of the FZ47.

Are you saying that because of the CCD in FZ47, it will give better images?
I am and it does. However, based on the early sample images, the differences seem fairly minor and I'd guess that at high ISO, the FZ150 will perform slightly better.

Quote:
but there is no RAW, Hot Shoe, and a fixed LCD in the FZ47.
Correct.

Quote:
I will wait a week until somebody shows something, before ordering the FZ150.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11...50_gallery.asp
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:32 PM   #9

If it was me and I had an unlimited budget and could get any super zoom camera out there and my HS20 broke what I would do is get another HS20 I have yet to find any other camera from reading the reviews that is as good as the HS20 except for D-SLRs.......

As for Cannon stuff my brothers wife loves her Cannon G10 and my brother has had a 3MP cannon since 2006 or 2007 that he uses for work and he says it still works like day 1. However after seeing my HS20 she wants one.......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:47 AM   #10

..about the HS20 I can agree, if I was able to use it.
2 weeks and several thousands test pics with "swinging" results.
I decide to send it back, as it's not a cam for a beginner.

It was a beatiful camera but difficult to handle, with incredible tendency to use ISO at higher settings.

Anyway, now it's between the FZ150 and the SX40HS