Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:00 PM   #1

Default Should I upgrade my Canon EOS Rebel 300D?

What I have
Canon EOS Rebel 300D (6 megapixel SLR from 2003)
Canon SD800 (7 megapixel point/shoot from 2006)

My problem
The Rebel 300D really doesn't shoot that great of pictures. I feel like the SD800 most of the time gives clearer pictures. I normally use the stock 18-55mm Rebel lens, but I also have a 50mm f1.8 fixed lens and 80-200mm zoom f4.5/5.6, both from Canon, which I don't use as often.

I'm wondering if upgrading the Rebel lens or body will help get clearer, more detailed pictures with more "pop."

What I want
I'd like to get a used model off eBay, so the question is what cheap Canon SLRs are available used.

Upgrade body only and use the Rebel and other lenses if they are fine?
Or keep the body and just upgrade the lens?
Or replace both the body and lens?

I need something that can do Aperture priority and 3 shot Auto Exposure Bracketing for HDR. I normally shoot landscapes, cars (not moving), people. I generally don't shoot sports or moving action. I'm more interested in clear, good looking picture quality than FPS.

Thanks

Last edited by saintz; Sep 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM.
saintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:27 PM   #2

Buying a used dLSR is risky. There's no way to know how much use and abuse it's received. I think you should consider a refurbushed Canon dSLR instead. Refurbished Canons come with a 90 warranty from many retailers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Buying a used dLSR is risky. There's no way to know how much use and abuse it's received. I think you should consider a refurbushed Canon dSLR instead. Refurbished Canons come with a 90 warranty from many retailers.
It looks like an XS 1000D body/lens kit or an XSi 450D body-only for about $400 from the refurbs. How much better of an image will I get compared to the 300D?

I have the older 18-55 non-IS lens. If I upgrade the body, should I upgrade to the IS lens as well? The Amazon reviews for the two lenses seem to indicate that the new lens alone is a major improvement. I'm curious whether the newer lens or body makes more difference, or both.

Also, that appears to be roughly twice what a used one would cost. Is that worth it, considering I could buy two used ones (and have a spare) for the same price. How likely are they to break?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:25 PM   #4

Are you shooting RAW saintz? If you are not you might be able to play with the colour saturation and colour settings. (I shoot raw so I don't know much about them, but I am sure others here do)

If you are using RAW, consider the conversion software you are using. Canon's propriety software maybe limited.

I have the 350D and I find the colour/quality get from Bibble to be much better.

If you can fix your old camera older it maybe worth it as they give smaller files.

Just a thought.
Rach
rlddg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 8:54 PM   #5

The 18-55 IS is a big improvement over the earlier, unstabilized version. Yes. Get it.

That, all by itself, might improve your opinion of your 300D. You could get the refurbished, stabilized kit lens, and see how that goes, and if you want, step up to either the 450D or the 1000D.

According to the DxOMark test results, the 300D has slightly more noise that the 450D and 1000D, and less dynamic range, especially at higher ISO settings. The 450D and 1000D also both have 'Live View' and greater resolution image sensors. If they're within your budget, I think you'll be pleased with either one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the input.

I normally shoot in Large JPG, and then import into iPhoto. I then import into GIMP if I am editing the photo or Luminance if I have a bracketed HDR shot. I know RAW will give me more room to play around with, so I need to try a few test shots.

I did test shots of the same two subjects with my Nikon and Canon point/shoots as well as my Rebel using all three lenses. I am trying to find an easy way to post them for comparison.

I'm going to look at the lenses more closely before buying a new body, as you suggested TCav. My 50mm f1.8 appears to be a good lens, so if those results are satisfactory, I need a new "kit" zoom lens, and if not, I need a new body. The 18-55 IS looks like a good bet, or perhaps a 28-105.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:21 AM   #7

Here are my test shots. My thoughts are below. Any other comments would be welcome.

Set 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Set 2

Last edited by saintz; Sep 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:22 AM   #8

Sorry about the size, but this was the easiest way I could think to view them. The SD800 and Coolpix are the point/shoot. The 300D lenses used are 18-55 at both 18 and 55, 50 fixed, and 80-200 @ 80. All shots were taken as snapshots in auto mode, so as not to bias the SLR over the point/shoot. Obviously with proper composition and editing, the SLR shots would look even better. I shot these in large JPG, imported into iPhoto, and used the enhance feature, so this is basically showing what the photo would look like after a quick post-process, and not necessarily what comes straight out of the camera. Since most shots are going to be post-processed, I figured this would be a better comparison.

Thoughts:
It's hard getting consistent shots with such different magnification. Going from 18 to 50 mm on a digital body totally changes the picture.

The 18-55 kit lens is blah. It's a little hard to see given the size, but the fixed 50mm gives a much crisper shot with much better color.

The 80-200 was great for shooting sports on a film camera, but is just so much zoom on a digital body.

The 4 year old Canon point/shoot can keep up with a brand new Nikon point/shoot (and to me looks better). The 300D, at least with a good lens, definitely outperforms the Nikon and Canon point/shoots.

It looks like my problem lies in the lens. I am going to upgrade, most likely from the old 18-55 to the new 18-55 IS. I suspect that will help more than a new body, at the moment. I'm also going to try to use the 50mm more.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:51 AM   #9

You'll probably get better results a the better lens than replacing the body and still using the same 18-55 kit lens. For the price of a used body, you could get a Tamron or Sigma lens in the about same focal range with better optical properties.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 8:28 PM   #10

I'm surprised your not particularly impressed with the images that a 300d can produce.
I recently purchased one cheap with an 18-55 USM attached and I thought the image quality was fabulous- and certainly not hindered in any way by being "only" 6mp.
With all parameters set to standard and fine/jpeg mode- I thought the noise control,dynamic range and saturation/white balance was excellent.
If speed wasn't an issue,I'd recommend one to anyone- and for IQ I wouldn't mind putting it up against any entry level SLR today- particularly if you'll only be printing up to A4 max.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote