Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:07 PM   #11

No it does not, i tried. 16 shots before it really slows down to 1fps.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:41 AM   #12

I wouldn't worry about 16 shots filling a buffer. If you're taking 16 shot bursts shooting sports you're doing something very wrong. It's a red herring.

Now, as mentioned, a 70-200 2.8 is a fine notion. Indoors that means ISO 3200-6400. As for shooting football, it means you must be on the sidelines not outside the fence and a 200mm lens is good for about 25 yards of coverage from your shooting position. So, if you look at the dimensions of a football field you'll see you're not going to shoot action on the opposite sideline. But, of all the field sports, football is probably the easiest to get shots of with only 200mm because you can follow the line of scrimmage. The sigma 120-300 2.8 is a very good lens - I use one for my field sports. But the expense is rather high. I would recommend going with a 70-200 2.8 solution. Given the high ISOs the OP will be using, I would say to skip the D90 (a great camera) and move to a d7000 (best option), followed by a canon 60d (2nd option) - with a sigma 70-200 2.8.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:14 PM   #13

It can be a red herring or not, if you shoot say a 7 shot burst, then need to shoot another 7 shot burst, and follow by a 3rd burst. It becomes very problematic. As it does not clear the buffer very fast.

I was at a motorcycle race, and a friend has a d7000 and we were at the turn apex. As the lead pack came by follow by a close second pack. He could not capture that second pack of riders. The guy next to him shooting a d300s had no issues catching the 3 packs of bikes. So can be important depending on how and what you are shooting.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 26, 2011 at 3:24 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 6:49 PM   #14

There are a number of things that can cause problems with continuous shooting speed. A good portion of the performance depends on the card and on the amount of in-camera processing, not to mention the whole "JPEG vs. RAW" thing.

But what I do know is I can shoot Large Fine JPEG at 4.5 fps continuously (as in "no buffer lag", as in "until the card is full") with my D90 and either a Lexar Professional or a SanDisk Extreme SDHC Card. I also know that the D7000 can do better.

Last edited by TCav; Sep 26, 2011 at 7:18 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:58 PM   #15

On my 7D I can shoot 8 FPS for a couple of seconds, but I don't believe I ever have. I tend to shoot 3 shot bursts at a time. most of the time if you are shooting 9+frames you are wasting your time (exception being sequence shots). Generally this would be called spray and pray and very seldom results in a great shot as you really have not composed one. Yes I like the 7D better than the D7000, but the D7000 is a great camera and is several hundred less than the 7D. TCav is spot on that in camera processing and individual custom settings can have a huge impact on a camera's ability to keep the buffer empty. Especially if you shoot only Jpeg, the D7000 can probably shoot quite a while. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:02 PM   #16

It is not always spray and pray with couple of short control burst, some action shooting requires it. And it is a technique that can catch that magic moment when used correctly.

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:25 PM   #17

I'm not saying I DO! I'm saying I CAN!

shoturtle has said that he's tried, and that a friend of his has tried, and neither of them couldn't do it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
No it does not, i tried. 16 shots before it really slows down to 1fps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I was at a motorcycle race, and a friend has a d7000 and we were at the turn apex. As the lead pack came by follow by a close second pack. He could not capture that second pack of riders. The guy next to him shooting a d300s had no issues catching the 3 packs of bikes. So can be important depending on how and what you are shooting.
I'm saying the gear is capable if it.

Shooting long continuous bursts isn't bad. It's just how you learn when to shoot shorter bursts.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I'm not saying I DO! I'm saying I CAN!

shoturtle has said that he's tried, and that a friend of his has tried, and neither of them couldn't do it:

I'm saying the gear is capable if it.

Shooting long continuous bursts isn't bad. It's just how you learn when to shoot shorter bursts.
Sorry To all!
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:29 PM   #19

No need.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:08 AM   #20

I own a Canon EOS 600D and it's often compared with Nikon 5100D and I decided to go with the Canon for a few extra features that appealed to me:

1. Better grip & handling - gives me more security and comfort while taking the picture
2. Wireless flash control
3. Better battery life

Here's another great, more general comparison on Canon vs Nikon.

Hope this helps!
Dustin20 is offline   Reply With Quote