Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1

Default Which DSLR? Canon, Nikon?

I am looking to buy a DSLR camera. I used to own a Nikon D40x but I got divorced and the camera went too.

I liked the camera but it did not give me what I wanted, it might have just been the wrong lenses, don't remember which ones they were. They came as a kit. One was a telephoto.

Where it did not perform for me was in low light. Football games at night. Basketball games in the gym. Kids functions on stage.

I need something where I can capture those shots.

Used or new.

Please help me. Budget not sure. Maybe a 1,000. Hopefully less.

Thanks in advance.
Hollywood_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:10 AM   #2

Oh no! Not another Canon vs Nikon thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood_12 View Post
I am looking to buy a DSLR camera. I used to own a Nikon D40x but I got divorced and the camera went too.
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
I liked the camera but it did not give me what I wanted, it might have just been the wrong lenses, don't remember which ones they were. They came as a kit. One was a telephoto.

Where it did not perform for me was in low light. Football games at night. Basketball games in the gym. Kids functions on stage.
The newer models from both Nikon and Canon have improved low
light performance. Don't expect miracles though, the D40x was reasonably
good in low light.

Indoor sports in low light are extremely challenging, even if you
have state-of-the-art gear.

Quote:
I need something where I can capture those shots.
The lens is probably more important than the body. You will
want a fast (large aperture) lens with a suitable focal length
for the shooting distance. This usually means an f/2.8 or
better zoom lens.

Quote:
Used or new.
I prefer to buy the body new. The 1-2 year warranty justifies
the extra cost. I am quite happy to buy used lenses, particularly
if I can test the lens before I buy.

Quote:
Please help me. Budget not sure. Maybe a 1,000. Hopefully less.

Thanks in advance.
$1000 would be a good budget for a new DSLR if you didn't
have the indoor sports requirement. The kind of lens(es) you
will need could take all of your budget and then some.

Last edited by corkpix; Sep 22, 2011 at 6:54 AM.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:31 AM   #3

Quote:
... Football games at night. Basketball games in the gym. Kids functions on stage. ... I need something where I can capture those shots.
Quote:
... Budget not sure. Maybe a 1,000. Hopefully less.
Not gonna happen.

For night football and indoor sports and performances, a lens alone will cost you more than $1,000. You might be able to get away with a 70-200/2.8, but the Sigma (the least expensive single lens that's probably somewhat capable of all that) sells for $799 (and not much less on the used market.) And you'd still need a body.

You want to do the most difficult type of photography there is, sports/action in low light, and you want to do it on a shoestring. If you're serious, this is something that you and your gear will grow into. Don't expect great results your first time out, especially if all you can spend is $1,000.

On a budget, the entry level Canons are probably the best for what you want to do. From there, you can rent lenses that are appropriate for the tough stuff, which will help you figure out what you eventually need to buy.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:02 PM   #4

As Tcav pointed out you have picked one of the toughest things to shoot on a budget. Football at night will be F2.8 and ISO 3200-6400. With a 70-200 F2.8 you are limited to about 25 yards, 300mm about 40 yards. So with a 70-200 you will need sideline access, a body that has a usable 3200/6400 and good software to remove noise (you will have it, but something like lightroon 3 can clean it up pretty well). Also you are shooting subjects that move in somewhat eratic paths, so you will need shutter speeds above 1/500 or faster to stop motion, IS does you no good on this. As Tcav stated have reasonable expectations, be willing to post for comment, be willing to take advice and grow into your newly chosen adiction, and above all HAVE FUN! Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:31 PM   #5

Hi its already been said you need a good fast lens IMHO as you have used nikon thats the way to go but in the end go and try some out see how they feel its important to get it right. Good Luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 2:02 PM   #6

Yep, Waoldrifleman hit the points. If you double your budget then you can start to get some shots. Otherwise, just move along. Low light sports shooting is tough:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:00 PM   #7

Ok.. Thanks so far for the help...

Now for some changes.... if you say I have to double my budget to get the shots that I want then I will Double my Budget.

Budget is now $2,000 but if I can keep in down then help me do so.

These sport shots are of my children... Not many football games left and I would like to get some shots this season.

Please help me... I like Canon and Nikon cameras.. Im willing to use either.

I know I need a good lense but don't know exactly which one, thats why I'm here asking people with the experience.

Thanks again for the comments and the upcoming comments.
Hollywood_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:15 PM   #8

Rather than asking you to trust us with all your money (as much as we might enjjoy that), I suggest you go to LensRentals and rent the gear to try it out first.

For sports/action, a Canon 50D or 60D or Nikon D7000 or D90 would be a good idea. A Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM will work well for indoor sports (basketball), school performances, and might even work ok from the sidelines for night football. For better performance for night football, you should have something longer, like Sigma's 120-300/2.8.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:29 PM   #9

Take the d7000 out of the sport photography, that tiny buffer makes it the least favorable sports camera. 2.5 sec burst length max. And not even the faster cards can help that problem.

For action with nikon, d300S in where you need to really start at.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:35 PM   #10

The buffers in the D90, D7000 and D300s will hold up to 25, 31, and 44 large, fine JPEGs, respectively. The buffer in the D7000 is large enough to shoot continuous at high speed for 5 seconds with even the slowest SD Cards, and that's with 16MP images, while the others only provide 12MP images.