Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:34 AM   #11

It is coming with kit lens. But was thinking I might also get the nifty fifty or a zoom lens what do you suggest starting out?
Steph_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph_79 View Post
It is coming with kit lens. But was thinking I might also get the nifty fifty or a zoom lens what do you suggest starting out?
The kit lens is nice, but it's not great in low light without a flash. The nifty fifty is better, but its angle of view isn't very good for the things you say you want to shoot.

Quote:
... I will mainly be using it for family and school events and parties. ...
The kit lens will help you figure out what other lenses you need, however.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what types of photos you'd like to take, and maybe posst some of your earlier attempts with what you've got.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:42 AM   #13

I want a lens I can use inside like in gym during band concerts, awards etc sometimes I am in back of gym and makes it hard to get a good shot especially with a P & S camera and the lighting inside isn't that great.

I also need a lens for outside ballgames and sports events with my girls, sometimes they let me in the gate to get good pictures but usually I am in bleachers with others or standing up outside of fence.

I will try to post some pics of what I have been taking.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:08 AM   #14

For outdoor sports, a 70-300 should be ok. College and Pro ball parks are bigger, but 300mm should be fine for HS, etc. The Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD is nice and sells for about $400. The 70-300 Di LD is only about $165, and is better than anything twice its price, but it's not as good.

For indoor sports and events, you'll need long focal lengths and large apertures. A 70-200mm f/2.8 would do the trick. Sigma's ($800) is ok and it focuses fast. Tamron's ($730) is cheaper and a little better optically, but it doesn't focus as quickly.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 2:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
For outdoor sports, a 70-300 should be ok. College and Pro ball parks are bigger, but 300mm should be fine for HS, etc. The Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD is nice and sells for about $400. The 70-300 Di LD is only about $165, and is better than anything twice its price, but it's not as good.

For indoor sports and events, you'll need long focal lengths and large apertures. A 70-200mm f/2.8 would do the trick. Sigma's ($800) is ok and it focuses fast. Tamron's ($730) is cheaper and a little better optically, but it doesn't focus as quickly.
The ones for outdoor sports are in my budget but the ones you mentioned for indoor are beyond my budget at moment (but will save up for them for future purchases). Is there any lenses I can get for Indoor that is cheaper to use until I can save up for the others? I understand that it won't be nearly as good as the ones you have mentioned.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 4:02 PM   #16

Quote:
... Is there any lenses I can get for Indoor that is cheaper to use until I can save up for the others? I understand that it won't be nearly as good as the ones you have mentioned.
Not really. You need a long, fast, zoom lens. That's a lot of glass, which isn't cheap. If you can forego the zoom and get a prime (in the interim) there are Canon's 85/1.8 ($400) and 100/2 ($475) lenses, but for those prices, you might as well wait until you can get the zoom.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:34 PM   #17

Okay thank you! I am going to go ahead and get the Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC now and save and get the A 70-200mm f/2.8 in a couple weeks so I can save for it. I really appreciate all the info and advice you have given me.
I have been told by a couple friends that have DSLRs that I should get the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens and the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG macro lens for canon EOS/EF. What do you think get them or are they not what I need at all.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:48 PM   #18

Also about how many actuations a canon t1i averages or when it is getting near replacement time?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:50 PM   #19

I have 80k on mine, and it is still working fine. Do not get to concern about the shutter live. It is rated for 100k, but many have went past that without issues.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:52 PM   #20

Quote:
I have been told by a couple friends that have DSLRs that I should get the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens and the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG macro lens for canon EOS/EF. What do you think get them or are they not what I need at all.
The 55-250 is a good, inexpensive, stabilized lens but it vignettes at large apertrues, which is what you'll be using when shooting sports, and past 200mm, the Sigma isn't very sharp. (In fact, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is a better choice than the Sigma, and it's cheaper.) The SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD has less vignetting, is sharper at the long end than the Sigma, and has more reach than the Canon.